Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
Does anyone know what ingredients would be used to make a pumpkin ale? Or even a Pumpkin Lager or really really full flavored pumpkin spicey beer? I'm in love with Maines Shipyard Brewery's Pumpkinhead Ale, it's great, but I almost wish it was a little more flavored.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm looking for a very nice, full flavored beer to sip on this fall while watching my New England Patriots games.

Radical Brewing (Mosher) has a great pumpkin ale recipe. I made it last year and it was a huge hit. THe spice mix is crucial. Also, roasting the pumpkin in the oven first makes a huge difference. I used canned organic pumpkin that I roasted for an hour and then added to the brew kettle towards the end of the boil.

Check this out:

Samhain Pumpkin Ale

I brewed it about a month back. Just bottled it a week ago and the sample tasted amazing. And the smell... MMM! I'm having a hard time holding off on chilling a bottle and taking an early test.

Btw, the recipe does actually use pumpkin. It's the only pumpkin ale I've made, but I'd say go really using some pumpkin. When I was bottling I was amazed at how orange the beer was. It was like 3.5 pounds of canned in the one I made and I did bake it in the oven beforehand.

Back