Pumpkin Ale season is a comin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
What's your favorite accessible pumpkin ale that's available in sixers and why?

I really like Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale. Not too sweet or over the top. Awesome flavor. I believe it has some butternut squash in there too. It's a really good beer overall. Looking for others that can compete. I've tried a lot and nothing has come close aside from the specialty bottles out West from Elysian and Alaska.

Schlafly's Pumpkin is my favorite as well. I've always heard great things about Southern Tier Pumpking so I'm going to try and get a hold of that this year. I've been looking forward to Schlafy's Pumpkin!

Post Road Pumpkin Ale by Brooklyn Brewery and DFH Punkin are my faves. I would definately like to try S.T. Pumking tho too.

DFH's Punkin' is the only one I've cared for. I don't really like pumpkin at all, be it beer, pie, bread, etc, but that Punkin' is a tasty ale. Granted, I can only drink 1 or 2 a year before I'm sick of it.

Schlafly's wasn't as good in 2011 as it was in previous years. Too sweet! I am, however, looking forward to their Pumpkin stout at HOP in the City this year. Boom diggity.

They make it exclusively with butternut squash, for those who want to clone it though.

O'Fallon Brewery's was my favorite last year, taking over Schlafly for the first year. Soooo good!

My pumpkin ale is already 4 days in the fermenter!

I was thinkin bout starting apumpkin thread after spotting a 2012 Southern Tier pumpkin(forgot the actual name) Oh pumpking- it was all graham cracker taste mainly last year-to me good but a little odd as far as graham cracker pumpkin-a little odd? Shafaly definalty comes to mind, I couldnt even get my hands on it after it being out only a few weeks it sold out,i just heard great things about it. Shipyards smashed pumpkin was my favorate of about a dozen i tried last year,and not counting a good handfull of good ones ive heard were really good though that I had no access. Dont get that mixed up with Shipyards pumpkin head that was at the very bottom of the dozen.
There were certainly lots of good standard pumpkin ales though that I enjoyed. O fallons certainly was one of them-good solid pumpkin ale. Cant wait to try all of them I can this season.Hopefully I can try DfH's.
' Im shure there will be some new ones.

DFH Punkin, and this one from Howe Sound Brewing are my favorites:

beer_120798.jpg

:mug:

here in northern colorado DFH punkin' is rare the couple weeks that the stores can keep it stocked. i now have an inside man over at a major liquor store known for micro brew selection... guess what beer is going to be bought out the first day they get it in?! muhahahaha! the poor souls wont know what to do without their delicious punkin' im like the beer grinch stealing seasonal brews!

I like saint Arnold's pumpkinator it is a pumpkin porter from a brewery in Houston but only available in a bomber.

The only two pumpkin beers I've liked are DFH Punkin and Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin. I'll be doing my best to get my hands on both this year.

here in northern colorado DFH punkin' is rare the couple weeks that the stores can keep it stocked. i now have an inside man over at a major liquor store known for micro brew selection... guess what beer is going to be bought out the first day they get it in?! muhahahaha! the poor souls wont know what to do without their delicious punkin' im like the beer grinch stealing seasonal brews!

unlike? :p

periwinkle1239 said:
I definitely love Schlafly's version, it's the best. I need to come up with an AG recipe for a pumpkin brew-off and get it brewed soon, any suggestions? The Thunderstruck https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/ looks good. Also, the NB kit http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-SmashingPumpkin.pdf looks good as well.

Reno's Punkin' is another great HBT-er's brew and very popular ( 38 pages and counting )
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/

I'm a huge pumpkin beer fan and have tried quite a few.

My 2 favorites are Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin and Southern Tier Pumking.

green_bierz said:

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skill; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skill that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my DFH Punkin go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will pee on you.

I don't think DFH Punkin' is nearly as good as Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale. However, I did have Punkin' through a Randall once with cinnamon sticks, toasted pepitas, and split vanilla beans. That was quite tasty. Weyerbacher Pumpkin is also "good", but a bit too over the top with the spices, which overshadows the pumpkin. That's the problem with this style... a lot of breweries muddle the true nature of the squashy pumpkin flavor with an abundance of spices, caramel, graham cracker flavors, and unfermentable sugars to the point of cloyingly sweet like Southern Tier Pumking, which makes me think I'm drinking a liquified holiday Caramel Pecan Pumpkin candle doused in sweet syrup.

Dilligaf76 said:
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skill; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skill that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my DFH Punkin go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will pee on you.

Lmfao. One case saved for you. For the sheer fact that I choose to remain golden shower free lol

top79 pumpkin ales from ratebeer.com

1. Midnight Sun T.R.E.A.T. Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter Oak Aged - 3.92
2. Alpine Beer Company Ichabod Ale (2009) - 3.86
3. Midnight Sun T.R.E.A.T. Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter - 3.86
4. Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Goord - 3.8
5. Southern Tier Pumking - 3.74
6. Cigar City Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - 3.73
7. Elysian Dark O The Moon Pumpkin Stout - 3.72
8. Flossmoor Station Big Black Pumpkin - 3.68
9. Summit Unchained 05 Imperial Pumpkin Porter - 3.68
10. Elysian The Great Pumpkin - 3.63
11. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale - 3.61
12. Williamsburg AleWerks Pumpkin Ale - 3.6
13. Adler Brau Pumpkin Spice - 3.57
14. New Belgium Lips of Faith - Kick - 3.52
15. Iron Hill Ichabod Imperial Pumpkin Ale - 3.52
16. Cape Ann Fishermans Imperial Pumpkin Stout - 3.5
17. Cape Ann Fishermans Pumpkin Stout - 3.5
18. The Bruery Provisions Series: Burly Gourd - 3.49
19. Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale - 3.48
20. Butternuts Autumn Harvest 2008 - 3.45
21. Catawba Valley King Dons Pumpkin Ale - 3.45
22. Flossmoor Station Bourbon Barrel Big Black Pumpkin - 3.43
23. Tyranena Painted Ladies Pumpkin Spice Ale - 3.43
24. Dogfish Head Punkin Ale - 3.43
25. Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet The Great Pumpkin - 3.43
26. Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter - 3.43
27. Jackie-Os Barking Pumpkin - 3.41
28. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley’s Signature Series) - 3.39
29. Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale - 3.39
30. Bullfrog kfC Pumpkin Stout - 3.37
31. Flying Dog Wild Dog The Fear Imperial Pumpkin Ale - 3.37
32. Bristol Venetucci Pumpkin Ale - 3.36
33. Michigan Brewing Screamin Pumpkin Spiced Ale - 3.36
34. Rock Art Extreme Pumpkin Imperial Spruce Stout - 3.34
35. Cambridge Great Pumpkin Ale - 3.31
36. The Cambridge House Pumpkin Ale - 3.3
37. Taps Pumpkin Ale - 3.27
38. Sleepy Dog Pumpkin Pooch Hefeweizen - 3.26
39. Midnight Sun Trickster - 3.26
40. Rivertown Pumpkin Ale - 3.23
41. Captain Lawrence Pumpkin Ale - 3.22
42. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - 3.22
43. Olde Peninsula Pumpkin Ale - 3.22
44. Fegleys Brew Works Devious Imperial Pumpkin - 3.18
45. Midnight Sun Hump Back Jacks Pumpkin Ale - 3.18
46. New Holland Ichabod - 3.16
47. Franklins Pumpkin Pie Stout - 3.15
48. Blue Mountain Chocolate Pumpkin Porter - 3.15
49. Rock Bottom Pumpkin Ale - 3.12
50. Capitol City Pumpkinator Ale - 3.11
51. North Peak Hooligan Hoppy Pumpkin Ale - 3.1
52. Stoudts Imperial Pumpkin - 3.09
53. Kuhnhenn Natural Pumpkin Ale - 3.08
54. Harpoon UFO Pumpkin - 3.08
55. Post Road Pumpkin Ale - 3.07
56. Dragonmead Lils Grumpkin Pumpkin - 3.07
57. Blue Mountain Pumpkin Ale - 3.01
58. Hereford & Hops Pumpkin Ale - 3
59. Elevator Imperial Pumpkin - 2.98
60. Liberty Street Punkin Pie Ale - 2.98
61. Bold City O Pumpkin Spice Coffee Stout - 2.98
62. Brockway Pumpkin Ale - 2.97
63. The Cambridge House Pumpkin Porter - 2.96
64. Saranac Pumpkin Ale - 2.95
65. Fort Street The Great Pumpkin Ale - 2.94
66. Sweetwater Tavern Ghost Town Pumpkin Ale - 2.92
67. Rock Bottom Arlington Murph’s Monster Mash Pumpkin Ale - 2.9
68. Buffalo Bills America’s Original Pumpkin Ale - 2.88
69. The Cambridge House Pumpkin Brown - 2.87
70. Blue Tractor Post Mortem Pumpkin Porter - 2.84
71. Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - 2.82
72. Golden Horn Spiced Pumpkin Ale - 2.81
73. Iron Hill Maple Vanilla Pumpkin Ale - 2.79
74. Capitol City Pumpkin Harvest - 2.76
75. Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - 2.75
76. Americas Pumpkin Ale - 2.75
77. Blue Cat Ichabods Pumpkin Ale - 2.73
78. Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - 2.65
79. Mudshark Pumpkin Ale - 2.58

Some of those are quite hard to get or masked with stout flavors. That list did not include Schlafly Pumpkin, Southampton Pumpkin, and Hoppin' Frog's Hollow Double to name a few.

Elysian Night Owl is a good one. Southampton Pumpkin is probably my third favorite.

schafly scored 3.58. Southhampton scored 3.36

The list above is from beers that were tagged as a pumpkin beer. Not all pumpkin beers were tagged as pumpkin beers, so it's not a complete list of pumpkin beers.

green_bierz said:

Sounds like insider trading. You bastard.

Aha...

Of those I've tried, this is how I would loosely rate them in tiers:

Tier 1
Elysian The Great Pumpkin
Elysian Dark O' The Moon
Elysian Night Owl
Schlafly Pumpkin
Flying Dog The Fear
Dogfish Head Punkin' (on Randall w/cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans, and toasted pepitas)

Tier 2
Dogfish Head Punkin' (regular version)
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
Southampton Pumpkin
Southern Tier Pumking

Tier 3
Smuttynose Pumpkin
Hoppin' Frog's Hollow Double
Otter Creek/Wolaver's Pumpkin
Shipyard Pumpkinhead
Terrapin Pumpkinfest
Brooklyn Post Road
Sixpoint Autumnation

...Probably missing a few others

What about the crazy idea of making a weak pumpkin stock and using it as your brewing water? Roast the seasoned pumpkin chunks, pour over water and add the stringy pumpin guts, boil and reduce, strain, check the pH, adjust and use to brew with. I like the idea of using Butternut Squash and other Gourds to reinforce the squash flavor. I just don't like a pumpkin beer that tastes like sweet pumpkin pie.

Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter is fantastic. FP doesn't distribute outside of AZ, and it's only sold on tap, but it's a fantastic Pumpkin beer. Pumpkin spice character is very subtle, and the pumpkin flavor melds with the porter flavor very well.

Pumpkinator by St. Arnold is by far my favorite. I love the pumpkin ale time of year, such great brews for a great season.

My Favorites are as follows:

Smuttynose Pumpkin
DFH Punkin
Southern Tier Pumking
Cisco Pumple Drumkin
and Avery Rumpkin.

I have not had to many of the beers listed but my top 3 are new Holland icabod dfh punkin and southern teir pumpking but the latter is a bit sweet for my taste

Southern Tier Pumpking has the same spin on pumpkin beer as their un-earthly is to IIPA.... It's so sweet as to be almost undrinkable and an experience that offers no desire for a return visit to the glass.

My opinion.

Southern Tier Pumpking has the same spin on pumpkin beer as their un-earthly is to IIPA.... It's so sweet as to be almost undrinkable and an experience that offers no desire for a return visit to the glass.

My opinion.

Couldnt agree more. I bought 2 bottles of this last year and could barely choke down the first one I opened. The gram cracker flavoring reminded me of the hazelnut syrup they put in iced coffee. The second one is still sitting in my frig.

My favorite pumpkin beer has to be DFHs

Back