Pumpkin Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weissbiergirl

Reaction score
Tonight I'm brewing a Pumpkin Ale. Instead of an actual pumpkin however, I have cans of pureed pumpkin. Is there anything that needs to be done before I just add it to the brewpot? Most recipes I'm coming across include using actual pumpkins to roast before you puree. I also have vanilla and ginger I was thinking of adding (besides the cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice). Is this best to add only after I rack to my secondary?

Pureed pumpkin is 100% pumpkin, so no problems there. I use 4lbs per 5 gallons, but I add it directly to my mash. If you're extract brewing, I would be careful about adding it directly to the brewpot as I can see it becoming hard to siphon out. It's really pulpy and likes to clog my mash tun if I am not careful.

I use only pumpkin spice as I like their combination of spices. A new trick that I used this year that was successful (I learned it from probrewer.com) is to make a pumpkin pie tea. Steep 4 tsp. or so of pumpkin pie spice in hot water and filter it through a coffee filter. Then add it to your secondary a bit at a time, tasting for when it you think it's ready.

Just some thoughts.

If you read on here, there are a lot of people that actually "roast" to pumpkin in the oven. The general way is to roast at 350 degrees, for about 30 minutes. Some people add spices to the pumpkin and also to the batch. I did this, added pumpkin pie spice to the pumpkin, and steeped for the last 30 minutes of the boil. The smell was amazing!! Its still fermenting right now, so I cant vouch for flavor, but plenty of people on here did it and the roasting seemed to help.

Search for recipes and read them all, and pick what you like. Thats what I did. Cheers!

Back