Pumpkin Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipfab74

Reaction score
I brewed Midwest's Pumpkin Ale last month. In addition to the spice pack, I added a tea of water, 2t of pumpkin pie spice and 1T of vanilla. It has been in the bottle for about 2 weeks. I cracked one yesterday to try it out and am noticing little to no pumpkin spice flavor. Will this become more prevalent with age or do I just need to add more spice next year?

My 5 gallon batch of pumpkin ale from last year used about 4.5 tsp total of various spices (cloves, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg) and had a good spice flavor too it. I'm guessing you may just need more next year. That was my first attempt at a pumpkin beer so I'm by no means an expert but that was my experience.

It won't get better, if anything any slight hint will disappear with time. The good thing is now you know what to do next year and to bump up your spices. Don't do a drastic bump cause you could overpower the spices, especially the cloves if you do that. I used vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, cloves and additional brown sugar when I brewed it. Also, I used 120 oz of pumpkin puree, baked 90 oz of it with brown sugar and spices, apparently this adds more flavor, and added the last 30 oz during the last 5 minutes of the boil. When I was done with it, it had a great orange color to it.

I bumped my spices up from last year and I'll keep doing that until I hit the sweet spot year after year. I'll be making a tea as well and putting that in the secondary or bottling bucket when the time comes.

Back