Pumpkin Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoghouse

Reaction score
I just brewed a pumpkin ale with canned pumpkin. I normally use a strainer to get the junk out when I go to the fermenter. This time I could not because of all of the pumpkin. Is this ok in the fermenter and should I use a secondary once it all settles to the bottom?

Thanks

I would rack to a secondary after primary fermentation is complete to help clear the beer of any pumpkin parts.

I have a ton of hops pieces in my belgian blonde primary. Not sweating it. In your case though it may be taking up alot of room in the fermentor. Might lower your batch volume when you bottle or keg it.

Last pumpkin ale I brewed, I specifically left chunks in primary, and just left 'em in primary when I racked to secondary. It came out of secondary nice and clear, and with an awesome taste. I'd plan on a great beer, and use secondary if needed for clarity.

it usually settles at the bottem anyway giving you less beer so take that into account when priming.Give it about a month and you should be able to rack and bottle it,depends on the yeast also how it clears if you have a good flocculant yeast you get a clearer beer. Depending how much you used also i cant say for certain how clear mine were but ive used wheat in the past so it doesnt matter with wheat much.
I just brewed one up and i didnt strain much out of it, i have about 2 inches of trub and probably 3-4 less beers for a 2 gallon batch,so sad. I even maxed my fermenter out and got lucky and didnt need a blow off tube, at least i tried to account for volume.
Why couldnt you strain it You can scoop it out of your strainer.Sometimes i take a spare pot and stop pouring and dump the strainer to clear it then keep pouring.Couldnt you also try to rack on top of the junk to the fermenter trying to keep it above the trub after it cools?

Back