Pumpkin Ale Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsavelli

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt my first mini-mash, a pumpkin ale, and have a question about volume. I only have a 3 1/2 gallon brewpot, which I know is smaller than the recommended 4-5 gallon volume. However I was going to compensate by trading off 1 pound of base malt for 1 pound of malt extract. The recipe I'm considering utilizes:

4 # pale malt
3 # light dry extract
1.5 # specialty grains
8 # roasted pumpkin

If I alter it to 4-4.5# light dry extract and 2.5-3# pale malt, do you think my pot would fit everything? I don't want to get everything and then not be able to finish the boil.

Also, can anyone recommend a good partial mash pumpkin ale recipe, or maybe a partial mash nut brown pumpkin ale?

Eight pounds of pumpkin sounds like a ton of pumpkin to me. Everything else seems good though. As far as recipes there are several out there on the sight. Use the search function and you will get all you need.
Welcome to the sight bro.

That is a LOT of pumpkin. I'd cut it in half, but that's just me. As for the pot, it's going to be close. After you mash and sparge, you're looking at ~3 gallons of wort before adding your extract and then pumpkin. I'd look into getting a cheap 20 quart stock pot at a grocery store or Target, etc.

Back