pumpkin ale help?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDawg66

Reaction score
First time poster here...and first time home brewer as well.

Boiled my first batch yesterday and I am pretty sure I made a mistake...i used fresh pumpkin and baked it in the oven, then scooped it out of the skin and added it to the boil for the last 15 mins....

once the boil was over, i transferred it into the fermenter, but DID NOT STRAIN OUT THE PUMPKIN...

is it worth it to remove the lid and strain it all into another fermenting bucket? or should i just ride it out and hope everything works....i should be able to get it out of there before fermentation starts if that is what needs to happen

thanks for the help

A tip to make life easier the next time you brew up some pumpkin ale, put the mashed/cooked pumpkin and spices in a grain bag and let that boil. You get all the flavor without the straining problem. When you're done, just lift the bags out!

The coolest part about homebrewing for me is the control I have over what goes into the beer, but a thought for your process: mash it up with the skin on (a good amount of flavor is in the skin) and leave it in the boil for more than 15 min. for a more rich pumpkin taste. Everyone I know complains that Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale isn't pumpkiny enough, took a taste test of mine and its worlds better.

Good luck

I intentionally let as much pumpkin into the fermenter as possible. I figured that having it circulate during the primary fermentation infused more flavor into the beer.:mug:

I am thinking of brewing a pumpkin this weekend. Every year I make fresh pumpkin pie and pumpkin soup so why not pumpkin beer. How many pounds of flesh are you guys adding to your wort?

Thanks

Anyone have a suggestion for hops/malt to use with a pumpkin ale? This will be my next project.

For any questions, you could start a new thread. Questions kind of get lost at the end of the thread as well as take the topic a wee bit off the original poster's question.

I've heard great things about RichBrewer's pumpkin ale (recipe under his avatar) and in that thread there is a conversion for PM/extract brewing as well.

Back