Pumpkin Ale carb levels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
I've been looking around and can't seem to find an exact answer anywhere about how much priming sugar/what carb levels people have been doing with their pumpkin ales (I know you've all brewed them by now!)? I know it should fit the original style of the beer, but I've seen some say that the carb levels should be slightly lower than normal to complement the flavor profile (I think that's the right way to put it...) of the spices? In my case, I brewed the AHS Pumpkin kit, based on an amber ale, so I was thinking on the lower side for the style (2.2). Also was thinking of going for brown sugar instead of the regular included priming sugar, to have the molasses contribute slightly to the flavor (since I forgot to add brown sugar during the boil).

Anyone have a take on this?

2.2 would be fine. Spice ales should be carbed on the low end of the spectrum so your plan soudns good. I'm not so sure about the brown sugar. I don't think brown sugar is a required component of pumpkin ale really and you have no way to know exactly how it's going to affect the final flavor.

Back