Pumpkin Ale Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isuflyguy

Reaction score
Hey All... Put my first attempt at an extract pumpkin brew into primary about 10 days ago.

For the pumpkin flavor I added 40oz of pumpkin 45 min into the boil and another 40oz with 5min left. Then also at 5 min left I added 3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.

A lot of people talk about doing a secondary for this brew but I hate to risk contamination. That being said I also want to make sure the spice flavors are strong and make you want more. Am I safe in just adding another teaspoon or two to the fermenter? Or is there something I need to do to make sure the pumpkin pie spice is sanitary even for that.

Thanks for any input!

Pull some out and give it a taste. Might be strong enough already. Seems close to what I use (don't have my notes with me).
What is the ABV and IBU? If they are high then risk of infection is reduced.
No need to rack to secondary, lots of people do not.
If really afraid of infection soak spices in vodka for a night first than add.

ABV was predicted around 5% however I added an extra 8oz of brown sugar to the kit to give it a kick. OG was 1.055 so I'm hoping for an abc about 6%. IBU is only 12, but again I changed some things so that could change as well. I like the idea of pulling some out though... and the vodka idea is great!

Took a reading and a taste - Currt SG is 1.014 so at about 5.5%abv and flavor isn't much spice... def spice in the aroma but i think ill add a teaspoon or two in some vodka for the night and put that in tomorrow

Back