Pumping ice water vs pre-chiller in ice water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyindaburgh

Reaction score
So with the summer months, my water is not as cold as it is in the winter and I am having trouble getting down to pitching temps. So, thinking about going with a small pump and pumping cold water through the im chiller or building another Chiller and putting that chiller into a bucket of ice water. Thoughts? Ideas? Also, if you think prechiller, I have extra 3/8" and 1/2" ID tubing, which would be better? I currently use 50' of 3/8 " for my chiller.

I've never tried a pre chiller, but I do use the ice water recirc method thru my IC. I have a pond pump in a 5 gal bucket that I just cover with water, then dump a bag of ice on top...hook the pump to the IC, and let the outlet recirc back to the bucket. I only hook this up once the temp has gotten down as far as possible with tap water. Works like a champ!

Pre-chillers are pointless. For the price of copper to make a good pre chiller your could buy a pump and pump ice water which works better probably anyway.

Latest posts

Back