Pump suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmill

Reaction score
I'm designing a 2 tier single pump brew stand and looking for some advice.

I'd like to have a single pump and then rely on gravity to transfer from MLT to the brew kettle to keep it on the cheap side.

I've looked at a few LHBS websites and the cheapest I can find is $150. I know all of you DIYers didn't pay that much for a pump. Any suggestions on cheaper options?

Edited: I guess it was my southern roots that wants to involve gravy in everything.

I do not like to rely on gravy either, or gravity.
A pump is not something to go cheapest possible, especially if it sees wort post boil. You need to be able to clean it and be food grade, which eliminates a lot, it also needs to handle temperatures upto 212F and be able to handle acids. You are forced into stainless and polysulfone. Then it is extremely helpful to be able to throttle flow, without going to 3 phase motor controllers you are left with magnetically coupled impellers.
I f you have multiple pumps you can be a bit more use specific, maybe saving a few dollars on each. I have both Chugger and March both work equally well both are equally easy to maintain.

I'd like to have a single pump and then rely on gravity to transfer from MLT to the brew kettle to keep it on the cheap side.

I used a system like this for years and it works great for the minimal amount of equipment needed.

The chugger pump mentioned above is a good choice and Bobby is a great vendor. A lot of homebrewers use that pump so if you have any problems you will probably get a lot of help.

I have a couple March 815 pumps with polysulfone heads. They weren't cheap ($150), but have been reliable.

If i had to do it again i'd buy a pump with a 3/4" center inlet and stainless head. The plastic heads get their threads chewed up by stainless fittings.

Sometimes you just gotta spend the money and get the good stuff.

The plastic heads get their threads chewed up by stainless fittings.

Okay, I get that sometimes you do better to spend more up front once than having to replace cheap parts later. I guess I can start with one and work my way up if I see fit to move towards a full re circulation setup. I am working on the brew stand first and will add the pump once it is complete.

Okay, I get that sometimes you do better to spend more up front once than having to replace cheap parts later. I guess I can start with one and work my way up if I see fit to move towards a full re circulation setup. I am working on the brew stand first and will add the pump once it is complete.

I'd say go with this one (I picked the first result from google, although this vendor is on the top of my list anyways): http://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/chugger115ss-c.htm

It's stainless, and has the 3/4" center inlet.

2 things:
1. You should be able to find a new Chugger for about $100
2. I don't get why so many people insist on multiple pumps or gravity for one of the transfers. I use the same pump for mash re-circulation and chilling, I just run it for the last few minutes of the boil (treating just like my immersion chiller.

2. I don't get why so many people insist on multiple pumps or gravity for one of the transfers. I use the same pump for mash re-circulation and chilling, I just run it for the last few minutes of the boil (treating just like my immersion chiller.

Pump 1 - HLT to MLT (sparge)
Pump 2 - MLT to BK (lauter)

How else do you do it ?

+1 for chugger I have 3 stainless chugger pumps running strong after 3 years. Never paid more than 135 shipped for one. I also have the mark II from williams brewing. Works good for the money. I would get the stainless head though.

The plastic heads get their threads chewed up by stainless fittings.

I also have a plastic "Composite" March besides the Chugger and the have had it for 15 years - never had a problem with the threads getting chewed up.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Ended up with a SS Chugger. Made for a nice bday present to myself (and my back). Ordered fittings and camlocks, so should be ready to go for the next brew day.

Back