Pump Recommendation for Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aksea102

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am a partial boiling, extract brewer, residing in the south. I have a wort chiller and it functions properly, but it's efficiency isnt as good as it should be because...I live in the south. The groundwater just isnt cool enough (yet, nor EVER in the summer months) to chill my wort down to proper yeast pitching temps in 15-20min. I would really like to get a submersible pump, stick it in a cooler of cold/icy water, and attach it to my wort chiller. Since I dont have plans to go AG until the recession is over ($$ boo hiss), I dont need the food grade March? pump that I commonly see on this forum. Would you all be so kind as to make some recommendations for a decent submersible to improve the efficiency of my wort chiller? Flow rates would help too...
Thanks so much-
AMY

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45014

This is what I use with my 1/2" x 50' immersion chiller and it works quite well. I get the wort down to around 100f with the ground water and then hook up the pump to recirc ice water. I always get two bags of ice because I don't like risking it all melting before I get down to temps. Your results may vary.

Back