Pump in a box Wiring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
I'm putting together my pump-in-a-toolbox and have a question about the wiring. At this moment, I have a GFCI receptacle in the box with a switch. The pump will be plugged into a GFCI outlet and the switch will turn on and off the GFCI. What I'd LIKE to happen is have a secondary receptacle that is protected by the GFCI, but NOT affected by the switch. Is this possible?

Here's the schematic of the setup at the current setup (no secondary receptacle).

Any comments or ideas?

Thanks!

circuit_switch_only.jpg

Wire the GFCI input as normal, but then add the second outlet to the down-stream side of the GFCI, and stick the switch in the hot leg.

You end up with the GFCI outlet always on, and the added outlet switched and protected by the GFCI. Plug your pump into the added outlet and you're good to go...

Cheers!

So basically make the GFCI the secondary outlet? Dang, why didn't I think of that! :D Many thanks!

Back