pump for single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
what is it about the march 308 (oops, meant 809) series that is so desirable in a pump? does it have something to do with the temperature of the liquids going through it?

i'm looking to get one so i don't have to build a bulky 3 tier system.

Ive always used, and seen the 809... will have to look at the 308, never seen one.

I dont see a 308 on thier site... can you link it? I have only seen the 809 in HBing

sorry, i got the numbers mixed up in my head, i meant 809, dunno what the hell i was thinking of with 308.

It is food grade, high temp, magnetic impeller. It is the best thing out there IMHO.

sorry to be pesky, but what is the benefit of the magnetic impeller? just out of curiosity.

It means the the chamber that liquid passed through in the pump is completely sealed and the pump is turned by a magnet outside of the chamber. This means that there is no way for the liquid to be contaminate by the pump motor end of the equipment and there is no packing or seal for liquid to sit and an spoil. It makes the pump much easier to keep clean and sanitary.

It means the the chamber that liquid passed through in the pump is completely sealed and the pump is turned by a magnet outside of the chamber. This means that there is no way for the liquid to be contaminate by the pump motor end of the equipment and there is no packing or seal for liquid to sit and an spoil. It makes the pump much easier to keep clean and sanitary.

BINGO............

Little Giant makes a similar mag drive pump. I've been using an LG pump for several years without problems. It runs much more quietly than the March version and IMO, the assembly is of somewhat higher quality. The LG can be mounted in any position, while the March is supposed to be mounted only in the horizontal position. Also the LG is capable of running dry for up to 8 hours without incurring any damage. I think this has to do with the use of superior carbon composite thrust bearings on the impeller shaft. The March pumps are not the only alternative for the home brewer.

Little Giant makes a similar mag drive pump. I've been using an LG pump for several years without problems. It runs much more quietly than the March version and IMO, the assembly is of somewhat higher quality. The LG can be mounted in any position, while the March is supposed to be mounted only in the horizontal position. Also the LG is capable of running dry for up to 8 hours without incurring any damage. I think this has to do with the use of superior carbon composite thrust bearings on the impeller shaft. The March pumps are not the only alternative for the home brewer.

which LG pump are you using??

Isnt the march pumps rated for a higher temp then the LG???

Plus magnetic coupling means you can shut off the outlet with a ball valve and not worry about stalling the motor or damaging the pump mechanism.

Little side note: if the impeller becomes stuck for some reason(jammed from debris, wasn't cleaned last use etc.) the magnets are strong enough to keep the motor from spinning which will burn the motor.

which LG pump are you using??

Isnt the march pumps rated for a higher temp then the LG???

I have the Model 3-MD-MT-HC Little Giant:

Little Giant Pump Company

The maximum operating temperature limits for these pumps are based on using them in situations where the line pressure may be as high as 200 PSI. We home brewers typically subject the pumps to no more than a few PSI, so the max temp limit isn't very relevant and nothing to be concerned about.

Little Giant specs show 200F @ 0 psi . . . don't know much about pumps but it seems pretty clear that if you run 212F water/wort through it and it fails you most likely have no recourse against the company and any warranty. The majority of posts and users seem to favor using March. Have not purchased my pumps yet.

The majority of posts and users seem to favor using March.

Yes, sheep-like behavior seems to prevail most of the time. I prefer the danger zone!

By all means, go with the March pump. It will certainly do the job with little risk. The March is somewhat less expensive, so you can save some bucks that way.

OTOH, I've been moving near boiling wort with my LG for about the past five years w/o any problems whatsoever.

Back