Pulling trub into the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Anyone have the 3" I did today. Brewed the ZD clone and it had 5oz of hops added in the last 15 min in 5 min additions I use a homemade hop spider with the 5 Gal paint bag that so far has done a good job of with holding all the gunk but today after siphoning into my carboy I prob had 3" of trub, now some was the .75oz of FWH which I put right into the kettle as I'm collecting first runnings but I'm amazed at where the rest came from. I even added .5 gal to top off to my 5.75 goal into fermenter but now I see all this gunk in the bottom I'd be lucky the get 4.5 gal out of this. Is this normal for late hop additions? I vorloufed both mash and sparge till it was real clear I can't imagine .75oz of FWH has this impact. IDK but I'm still learning it's only my 5th AG batch. Hit all the numbers otherwise until I had to add volume due to trub loss but I'll take more beer over stronger beer. Anyone have any ideas??

The trub layer will most likely compact ending up less than three inches thick.
For your next brew try siphoning into a mesh bag suspended over a funnel when you transfer the wort to your carboy.

Latest posts

Back