Pulling sample for hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimney

Reaction score
In the middle of my first batch and was wondering...is it o.k. to tilt the carboy (as gently as possible) to retrieve a sample with a turkey baster, given that it's not long enough to do it upright?

Well, if you absolutely must, do it as gently as possible. Another alternative that I have used is to push a length of hose (from my autosiphon or something similar) onto the end of the turkey baster. It takes a few draws to get enough to test the gravity, but it works and you don't have to tip.

:mug:

Better is a wine thief or a racking cane (just put your finger over the top). If your beer is so low in the carboy that you can't reach it with a turkey baster, tipping it seems to be a terrible idea to me. I would think that would cause sediment to stir up, as well as allow alot of oxygen inside.

Just leave it until it's done and don't worry about. If it's still bubbling, it's not done. Check the gravity when you rack.

If you don't have a wine thief then you can use a length of vinyl hose from your racking cane to siphon a sample from the fermenter. This can be a little messy though. If you do this, just make sure you sanitize the hose before you put it in your beer.

Or use a racking cane with a carboy cap and with some pressure (CO2 or blowing) fill the hydrometer jar.

Back