Psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmart84

Reaction score
I have the PSI on my regulator set to 12 currently and I'm noticing that it's losing pressure.. I check it daily and it's usually dropped down to around 10. Any ideas what may be causing this??? There are no leaks in the system. Thanks

Few questions. Are you keeping the gas on as you should be or are you turning off the gas as some new keggers make the mistake of doing? Second, does it drop below 10 and keep falling or does it hold once it hits 10psi? If it continues to drop and the gas is on then it sounds like a leak. And if it holds at 10psi and you adjust it back up to 12psi it once again drops to 10psi?

Rev.

I keep the gas on at all times. It does not really drop below 10. I have checked for leaks in the system using a solution of star san and water and have not found any.

I personally had something like this happen. While the keg was carbing I was constantly adjusting the regulator. Now that the beer is carbonated it doesn't jump around any more. Also I keep my co2 tank in the fridge and have realized my regulator is lazy when cold. Just my personal experience.

I keep the gas on at all times. It does not really drop below 10. I have checked for leaks in the system using a solution of star san and water and have not found any.

But if you readjust up to 12psi does it hold at 12 or does it yet again drop to 10psi? It wouldn't make sense if it drops to 10 each time you try to go higher yet hold at 10 and drop no lower. Regulators do often have some "creep" but I've usually found it'll creep a slight tad upward instead of the opposite. In other words, if I set it to 10psi on the mark and come back hours later it might be at 11 or so psi. That's simply because it seems the gauges take a small amount of time to acclimate and show the true pressure. So, when I set my regulator I usually just dial it until the needle is right about to hit it's mark then stop turning the knob and find it just creeps up to hit exactly my psi. Or I might hit my psi at the gauge then give just a slight turn back and leave it be, also to find it level out perfectly.

Rev.

Back