PSI for English Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMushroom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at the calculators, for an English Pale ale I want a CO2 volume of .75-1.3.

That means a PSI of <0.1psi when carbonated at 41 degrees.

I'm assuming this is due to the natural carbonation that took place during fermentation.

As a British expat, I do like my English Pales on the low carbonation side - but as a newbie to kegging I have no idea what to set my regulator to on this one.

I don't want it completely flat, but I also need enough pressure to dispense the beer!

Help!!

Unlike with priming, a kegging carbonation chart/calculator doesn't need to take into account residual CO2 from fermentation. The calculators use Henry's law to give you the pressure you need to maintain to eventually equilibrate at a certain carbonation level.

0.75-1.3 is pretty close to flat, and like you said you'll have close to that many volumes of CO2 hanging out in the beer post-fermentation (depending on your temperature). If you'd like the carb level that low, I'd suggest just setting the regulator to the lowest setting that provides enough pressure to push the beer out of the faucet.

We always suggest longer (8-12') beverage lines, but for this case I'll say that if you're going to make a habit of this, you might want to consider one length of shorter (maybe 3'?) beverage tubing that you keep around for beers like this. That'll let you keep the pressure a little lower. Alternatively, you can use a beergas blend (CO2/N2), that'll let you turn the pressure up a little higher without any fear of overcarbing. Or you can turn up the temperature a little bit, but I wouldn't go that route.

I have 4' lines with picnic taps. I have a London Porter set at 7.5 PSI and right now I have the English Pale set at 5 PSI - does that sound about right for an English Pale?

At 41 degrees that's about 1.8 volumes, I'd say that sounds good for an EPA. Especially if you let it warm up for a minute or two before drinking... You can try turning the regulator down a little lower and see if you can still pour. At 4 psi you'll be at 1.7 volumes. As long as you like the way your beer is being served, that's all that matters.

:mug:

Back