PSI and tube advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I was too impatient to force carb my first keg of beer over a decent amount of time. I had a simple pils set at 37 deg- 40PSI for 24 hours and 30PSI for another 24 hours. Then I set the PSI it about 8, and tried it out. Fire extinguishers dispense their contents in a similar manor. So I bled off the pressure, set it back at 8 and was able to get enough beer out of it, but I desire a better pour. Was letting all of that pressure out O.K.? I've got it back on 10 PSI, and now I am thinking that longer beer lines will help. I have 6 feet of 1/4 inch on there. I'm thinking that I should get about 10, and play around with it. Does this sound like a decent idea? I've been reading plenty, and I know that I have risked Over carbing by doing so quickly, but once the foam has settled, its really very good- great feel to it, etc. It seems- in my noob opinion, to be a dispensing issue. Does anyone see any big flaws in my current course of action? Was bleeding off all that pressure (from 30 to 10) a bad idea?
Thanks!

Yes, you had to bleed off all the pressure and then turn it back up to whatever your desired carb level is per the temp/pressure chart (probably more like 11psi at 37F.

You should replace the line with about 7-8 feet of 3/16" ID, not 1/4". At 1/4", you'd need like 25 feet.

The method you're describing is common for impatient brewers but it's really hit or miss. You never really know what your carbonation level is (volumes). I recommend brewing more often and letting your beers age and carbonate over a slightly longer time.

+1 at Bobby. I must have read the right threads. I am using 9 feet of 3/16" ID tubing on my taps and they work BEAUTIFUL. I mean just AWESOME.

Doesn't mean OPs keg is carbed right, but your hose is too wide and too short for sure.

Thanks- I thought that this might be the case. Where (besides a LHBS) can one acquire 3/16 food grade tubing? will I not also now need a coupling piece to connect the 1/4 inch hardware on the keg to the 3/16 line? How are others doing this?
Yeah, I agree about kegging that fast, but with my setup for kegging finally complete, I was feeling really hasty and could not help it. Further, is was a basic pils that I made to try my hand with lager yeast, but I'm not a huge fan of the style ( at the moment- I go in and out of liking styles) and so had I boggled the whole thing, I would have been less upset that with some of the other brews I have in the secondary at the moment.
Thanks again for the input, knowledge and advice.

The 3/16" ID tubing slides onto 1/4" barbs no problem. If they're stubborn, dip the end in some boiling water for a few seconds. You can get 3/16" ID thickwall from any online kegging supplier or mcmaster.com

Sorry to hijack...but...

What material for CO2 lines and beverage lines? I was looking at mcmaster.com and wasn't sure what to choose.

Also...3/16 ID...what OD/wall thickness is recommended?

Thanks.

-JMW

I just go to Home depot and get a 20 foot coil of 3/16" ID for about $2.69 myself. Not the white colored stuff for ice makers, the clear cheap stuff.

I may regret it someday, for now no troubles.

JustMrWill- I had the same problem when I called McMaster- I went to a brewing site- found out that their tubing had a wall thickness of 1/8- and went with food grade plastics- (To be honest- I forget now- I think its Vinyl-when I get home and see- I'll post what it is, if its different). Just make sure that they know you mean wall thickness and not OD-

Mcmaster has a lot of food grade tubing but yeah, 3/16" ID, 1/8" wall. I think they even has stuff labelled "beverage tubing". You don't want the really stiff stuff though.

This is good and cheap: 5233K55
Masterkleer PVC Tubing 3/16" ID, 7/16" OD, 1/8" Wall Thickness

JMW-yeah, so after reading what you just posted- I googled that too. PVS same/same Vinyl. Who knew? Not me!
I was just being careful - I didn't want to state that I was using one thing with great results- when it was indeed another.
I now state that I'm not a chemist.:mug:

I just picked up 3/16 ID 5/16 OD vinyl tubing at Home Depot - 20 ft for $3.49. It doesn't have the wall thickness...but couldn't beat the price! I replaced the 3 foot hose that was on my kegerator with 6 feet of this. The first glass I poured was the best I have ever seen...nice head...great head retention...beautiful lacing down the side of the glass as it was emptied. (which really didn't take long)

I also adjusted my carbonating technique as well..so I can't say for sure that the tubing made any difference...but I guess it couldn't hurt! :mug:

****Side note****
IT was a P.I.T.A. getting the 3/16 tubing onto the barb fittings!!!. Would have been a LOT easier with the thicker walled tubing!

-JMW

Back