PSA: Wort chills faster if you turn off the heat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeg

Reaction score
TSIA.

It seemed like the wort was chilling slower than normal, but I didn't really watch the clock... then after 20-30 minutes, I went to check again and noticed that the "Burner On" light on my stove was illuminated. D'oh!

Fortunately, "9" on my stove vs my IC reaches equilibrium around 110°F, and it dropped below 150°F quickly, so I don't think this will do much harm. Ah well. Learn from my fail!

Excellent question! Unfortunately, probably a disappointing answer: zero. (I don't normally drink while brewing, partly because I normally only drink at or after dinner, and partly in an apparently ineffectual attempt to avoid mistakes like this one.)

I think this happened because I was microwaving dinner and hurrying to get the IC going before sitting down to dinner. That was enough distraction that I remembered to turn on the faucet, but forgot to turn off the knob...

Ha - I have done the exact same thing!

To piggyback on your PSA: Brewers get better mash results if they turn off their burner when they mash in as well . . . . guess how I know that:)

Nope . . . . caught it at about 200+ degrees. Dumped it and reground another batch of grain and started my brew day again. Live and learn.

Back