PSA: Weigh your pre-weighed priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
Just for kicks I weighed some pre-weighed packaged priming sugar I have labled as 3/4 C and it weighs 3 ounces(85 grams). Am I crazy or should'nt they weigh 4 ounces? (114 grams)? I know some pre-weighed primers are labled 5 ounces even. WTF?

i have to say i never actually checked. Interesting though though. where did you buy it? maybe your being jipped

i don't think i've ever used the bag that comes with for priming...i just measured it out and dumped the bags with the rest of my corn sugar. but yeah, usually my hops are OVER quantity, so i measure everything.

i have to say i never actually checked. Interesting though though. where did you buy it? maybe your being jipped

From my local hbs. I really don't like these guys...The original owner was cool but these guys I don't think know what they're doing. They re-package their hops in non-vaccum bags which isn't a big deal but getting shorted on sugar pisses me off. And they say stupid things like "wyeast have 50% fail rate".... I didn't even weigh the bag itself which probably weighs at least 2 grams. It reminds me of San Francisco buying a 'Heighth' near Ben and Jerrys, but at least you know you're getting a heighth when you go thier unless you're some idiot tourist lol......The thing is I like a little undercarbed so I usually don't use the whole bag but now that I think about it the last beer I sent to a competiton the judges all said it was flat. Knowing the bag is 3 oz and I only used 2/3rds of that no wonder. :mad:

Ironically I bought the pre measured so I wouldn't have to measure....I guess I was naive in thinking they knew how to weigh sugar or weren't pinching from the bag.

I weigh all my lightweight ingredients on a gram scale.

As Zymurgrafi says, trust no one. Or as Reagan (?) said, "trust, but verify".

I just started weighing out all my hops (used to trust the premeasured bags). Never again will I trust the label. Spend the $10 on a digital scale.

I weigh all my lightweight ingredients on a gram scale.

As Zymurgrafi says, trust no one. Or as Reagan (?) said, "trust, but verify".

X2
Just bring it to their attention, maybe their scale is off. My old LHBS had a scale that was off I said something and they bought a nice new one.
JJ

Back