PSA: Stainless stuff is sharp!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I don't consider myself particularly clumsy, but I've endured a fair number of minor injuries due to underestimating the sharpness of the various bits of equipment involved in brewing. Just last night, I got a tiny piece of metal stuck in my fingertip from the sheath that wraps the propane gas line of my burner. I've pricked my fingertips on the sharp metal screens of my bazooka screen, hop screen, and the corners of various hose clamps. The worst was when I was first assembling my mash tun and was unaware of how sharp the threads were on those stainless nipples. I squeezed it good and hard while screwing the ball valve on from the other side, to realize I'd just sliced 3 gashes into my fingertips where the threads cut into my skin.

So who else has learned (the hard way) just how sharp and dangerous all this stainless gear is?

I make metal things for the military. Deburring is time consuming and expensive.

Most consumer metal goods are made to a price point.

I recently gibbed my index finger when a cover for an HVAC unit slid through my hand. Stuff happens if you aren't careful.

Back