PSA - Bareknuckle Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not that I really need to make a PSA to tell you guys to not drink AB, but this was freaking terrible. I was at a local place last night that does a fairly decent job of keeping beer on tap. I mean, it is not brewpub, but they keep Schlafly's (local Micro) on tap, Blue Moon, SA, Fat Tire...beers like that on tap. So, I was enjoying a few Fat Tire's throughout the night and we decided to have one more beer before leaving. I decided that I wanted something a little heavier so I figured I would go with a stout. I had actually never even heard of Bareknuckle, but the waitress told me it was an AB beer and that it was "sort of like Guiness". So I said what they hey and went with it. When she got it back it looked good. Dark black, thick, meaty, creamy head that wouldn't go away. So I took a whiff...nothing. And I mean nothing. No aroma whatsoever. So I took a drink. Wow. Disappointment to the fullest. I mean it has no freaking taste. I have had two day old water with more taste. I don't know how they do it. I don't know how you can make a beer so dark, and with such a nice head and have no taste. I am not saying that it had no taste for a stout, it had NO TASTE. It might as well been a Budweiser or something.

Terrible beer, stay away, not that anyone was overly likely to be buying anything from AB anyway. However, if you had considered it, don't bother.

Certainly not an over reaction. I have never had a beer with that little taste.

Well fair enough...to each his own. I am just saying its not undrinkable and a lot of places that don't have anything decent on tap have it so .....it is what it is.

ehh. It is not bad at all. Just because it is from a big brewer does not make it a bad beer. They had one for a while Mule Kick that was in fact much better but... two day old water is a little far fetched. By the way... to style that type of beer should not have lots of hops. The roasted barley is cleary in that beer.

it's not just BMC that makes beer with no taste... I'll argue all day that smithwicks has no taste. God awful beer.

Beertk said:
Just because it is from a big brewer does not make it a bad beer.

I don't believe that I ever implied that it was. Do you think that if I was under the impression that AB cannot make good beer I would purposely order a beer that I knew was made by AB? I might not be the sharpest drawer in the knife, but I am not that stupid. The beer was bad. I am willing to say that maybe I just had a bad one, it does happen, but the beer I had was tasteless and I would never even consider ordering another one.

It could be that the establishment doesnt sell a lot of it. I have been to certain places where I will order a Guiness and after one sip I know I am the first person to order one since the late '90's. Its pretty bad when that happens tasteless almost flat and dirty/old lines are never a good thing anyway.

cubbies said:
I don't believe that I ever implied that it was. Do you think that if I was under the impression that AB cannot make good beer I would purposely order a beer that I knew was made by AB? I might not be the sharpest drawer in the knife, but I am not that stupid. The beer was bad. I am willing to say that maybe I just had a bad one, it does happen, but the beer I had was tasteless and I would never even consider ordering another one.

It's cool...you're entitled to your opinion on the beer. I haven't had it so express an opinion one way or another (though my expectations wouldn't be high based on past BMC craft-esque/upscale offerings). You just have to remember that you're not on BA or ratebeer and there are plenty of folks that enjoy BMC 'round here.

z987k said:
it's not just BMC that makes beer with no taste... I'll argue all day that smithwicks has no taste. God awful beer.

I actually like Smithwicks, but always complain that it taste like someone took a really nice beer and put 35% water in it! I like the flavor profile, but think it's WAY weak.

At the risk of carjacking (or would that be postjacking) this post I MUST RANT! I live in Mississippi = antiquated beer laws 6.25% ceiling, and TERRIBLE selection of biers below the 6.25% ceiling. Long story short I'm PO'd at the moment about AB hosting a beer tasting! Can you believe that! These bungholes that are standing in the way of the states ABV allowances being lifted are hosting a beer tasting at $30 per head! (yes there is a movement afoot to change the law meba.org or meba.com) I feel like going and complaining about the taste of everything that's served!!!! That would be the only justice! Go in.... smell the nose, view the beer in it's glass, take a small sip and spit it out while shouting obscenities!!!!!!!

Thank you for allowing the vent!
Phillip

brewt00l said:
It's cool...you're entitled to your opinion on the beer. I haven't had it so express an opinion one way or another (though my expectations wouldn't be high based on past BMC craft-esque/upscale offerings). You just have to remember that you're not on BA or ratebeer and there are plenty of folks that enjoy BMC 'round here.
I don't know we're not on par with BA and ratebeer, but we try! :)

Wow, just goes to show you how different folks' tastes are. I think BKS is a pretty good beer. It is kind of watery for a dry stout but I actually prefer it over Guinness when I go to a place that has both.

Dude said:
Wow, just goes to show you how different folks' tastes are. I think BKS is a pretty good beer. It is kind of watery for a dry stout but I actually prefer it over Guinness when I go to a place that has both.

I am starting to believe that I must have had a bad beer. I cant attribute it to bad lines or anything because there was no bad taste, there was no taste. There was no roasted barley flavor whatsoever. Just really watery, flat and flavorless. I still don't ever plan on giving it another try, but it must have been a bad beer/batch/keg.

Back