PSA: $20 turkey fryer + pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illini0250

Reaction score
Just picked up a $20 fryer from Dicks sporting goods in Geneva, IL on Saturday. Haven't fired it up yet and may be of Toyota 2010 quality, but the Al pot (30qt) seems decent enough to justify the price alone so I am hoping for the best with my new exploits. 148,000 BTU for what its worth.

And for those of you chefs in the crowd, it comes with a recipe for fried prime rib. No cheating, prime beef only.

Anyone seen this elsewhere? I'm in Central Jersey, and if I can find a Dick's near me, I will look for it later. $20 for an aluminum stockpot is insane! The cheapest I've found enamelware stockpots was $30.

I'm not sure I'd need the propane burner, either, so that's more money on craigslist!

The Acadmey Sports and Outdoors here in Dallas has aluminum 30 qt pots for $19.99 and a burner for another $29.99. I'm defintely going to get a new pot this weekend! And the burner may not be a bad idea either. I'll have to see what offer Dicks here has too. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm just getting into the whole homebrew thing so I could be wrong, but I thought aluminum was a bad material to use b/c you could get metallic off flavors? If not I'm all for picking one up myself. So guess my question is, are people buying these for the burner/stand or the complete package with the pot?

Aluminum is fine. You just need to boil some water in it first to condition it, and then it won't let any metallic flavors into your brew. Search "aluminum" on the forums, and you'll find plenty of threads on how it's okay, and how to condition it right.

People are buying them for the complete package. I have a powerful gas stove and don't want to pay for propane, so I think I'm just in the market for a pot (famous last words before I go nuts and start brewing 10 gallon batches).

Aluminum is fine. You just need to boil some water in it first to condition it, and then it won't let any metallic flavors into your brew. Search "aluminum" on the forums, and you'll find plenty of threads on how it's okay, and how to condition it right.

People are buying them for the complete package. I have a powerful gas stove and don't want to pay for propane, so I think I'm just in the market for a pot (famous last words before I go nuts and start brewing 10 gallon batches).

Good to know, I guess I will have to be on the lookout for one, going to start trolling craigslist I think.

The Acadmey Sports and Outdoors here in Dallas has aluminum 30 qt pots for $19.99 and a burner for another $29.99. I'm defintely going to get a new pot this weekend! And the burner may not be a bad idea either. I'll have to see what offer Dicks here has too. Thanks for the heads up.

Jason, I have been looking at the burners at Academy also, but have been a little leary of the quality. If you get one, will you please review it here as to the performace and durability. I want to do 14 gallon boils on it and know the BTU's are addequate, just not sure about the frame strength to support that much weight.

Back