Provolone Hot Peppers

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
This is just a little hor 'dorves Ive been making over the last couple years. Normally it is grilled over charcoal but the BBQ grill is covered in snow and its -30º so I baked them in the oven. Here we go...

The quantities of ingredients can vary, this isnt a critical scientific process, its a general idea. Either grilling or baking creates a very tasty, tender pepper with a bit of heat. (for grilling place peppers on tin foil with holes poked in it with a fork until cheese melts).

Red Hot Peppers (as many as you want to make)
Fresh Basil
Fresh Marjoram
Sea salt
Red Wine Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive oil
A block of Sharp Provolone cheese

Again, depending on the quantity of peppers you want, chop a few leaves of basil and marjoram and mix in with a generous portion of the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add sea salt to taste.

Cut stems off of peppers and make a slit the long way down the pepper. Remove seeds. Cut provolone into fine cubes and stuff the peppers. Add a couple of whole marjoram leaves, and a basil leave into slit in pepper. Fix with a toothpick as show below.

After generously brushing the peppers with the oil, place pan on middle rack of pre-heated oven at 350º for about 15 minutes, or until cheese beings to melts. Plate it up and serve! Enjoy!

OP
B

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
Yuri_Rage said:
Man, does that ever look good!

Wonder if they'd be good if you wrapped them in prosciutto and roasted them on the grill?
Actually that isn't a half bad idea, prosciutto would be great if it were a real thin slice wrapped around it.

I did try these bacon wrapped and grilled, and I think the grease and flavor from the bacon really killed the oil baste and heat on the pepper. It was a little overkill.

Reaction score
mr_stimey said:
I did try these bacon wrapped and grilled, and I think the grease and flavor from the bacon really killed the oil baste and heat on the pepper. It was a little overkill.
The Southwest version of these is jalapeños stuffed with cheddar, wrapped in bacon. Tasty, but way greasy. Your Italian-ized version gave me the idea to use prosciutto instead. Bacon would overpower the fresh herbs, too, I think.

OP
B

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
Yuri- If you do end up trying this with some prosciutto please post up the results, let me know how it goes.

Reaction score
Prosciutto = GOOD!

I changed the recipe just slightly, in part due to necessity, and in part due to preference.

I used jalapeños since the store didn't have red chiles.

I used fresh oregano instead of marjoram since that's all I could find, and I knew it would substitute well.

I added a clove of crushed garlic and a bit of fresh ground pepper to the vinaigrette.

I grilled them over high heat in a veggie basket.

Results: OUTSTANDING!

OP
B

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
Looking good! Im so going to do a few wrapped in prosciutto next time I make them.

joejaz

Reaction score
Were they hot or sweet peppers. It sure looked good. We should start a receipe database.

joejaz

Reaction score
i just reread they were hot peppers but imagine they will work either way

OP
B

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
joejaz said:
i just reread they were hot peppers but imagine they will work either way
They were hot peppers, I would imagine this would be good with bell or sweet peppers though the sharp provolone might not be the best cheese choice, I would say maybe a fresh mozzarella if it were sweet peppers.

JustDave

Reaction score
Those look great, mr_stimey and Yuri.

I think the lesson we learned from this is, everything tastes better wrapped in meat. :)

Latest posts