Protein Rest Temp for Dark Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I'm planning on a decoction mash for a Dunkelweizen this weekend. The grist has a lot of weyerman dark wheat. The NB website says a protein rest is recommended. So, my question is at what temp? I've read a lot that state with modern, well modified malts, 133* is good for this rest to avoid damage to head retention. With poorly modified malts closer to as low as 122* is necessary. For this malt, do I want to aim high, low, or in the middle, like 127*?

Protein rest is @122. But you said you are doing a decoction mash if you are doing a triple you should be at 85-105 115-130 and 150 155. The ranges are in there because you won't hit the mark. I would recommend reading Palmers How To Brew page 172 on Decoction Mashing. He makes it easy to understand. Good Luck, its going to be a long brew day.

This is my first decoction attempt, so I didn't want to try the traditional triple decoction. Also, the long protein rest in the triple scares me a bit. I don't want to hurt head retention, which I understand can happen. I'm actually planning on trying a Hochkurz Double Decoction. So, I'll dough in at the protein rest, add an infusion to get to a maltose rest (142-146), pull a thick decoction to get to a dextrinization rest (158-160), and lastly pull a thin decoction to get to mash out.

From what I've read, the protein rest range is 122-133. From what you're saying, Magic8Ball, if they recomend a protein rest for this malt, then I should aim to hit 122 for my dough in, correct?

I normally go "higher, shorter" for my protein rests. That is, 131-133 and immediately pull the decoction so that this rest is about 20 minutes. That works great. I would go 133/147/156/mash out if it was my beer.

This is my first decoction attempt, so I didn't want to try the traditional triple decoction. Also, the long protein rest in the triple scares me a bit. I don't want to hurt head retention, which I understand can happen. I'm actually planning on trying a Hochkurz Double Decoction. So, I'll dough in at the protein rest, add an infusion to get to a maltose rest (142-146), pull a thick decoction to get to a dextrinization rest (158-160), and lastly pull a thin decoction to get to mash out.

From what I've read, the protein rest range is 122-133. From what you're saying, Magic8Ball, if they recomend a protein rest for this malt, then I should aim to hit 122 for my dough in, correct?

The Hochkurz dbl decoction you can (and should) do the prot rest at dough in for 30 mins. As yopper said a high fast protein rest (133) works. Like you said most authors give a range for the protein rest. I shot for the lower end as its easier to make the msah warmer than to try to cool it down before enzymes denature. If you like the Hochkurtz DD, then he purports using a high fast protein rest. Your temps you have given are spot on that method. Do a Iodine test before mash out to make sure you have achieved "full" conversion.

Back