Properly using whirfloc tabs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archibaldi

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to any who reply...:mug:

I just brewed my second batch (strong belgian trippel style). I don't think I used the whirfloc tabs correctly. I put them into the wort after the boil was done and before I put the wort into the fermenter. Everything went into the fermenter fine, but when I transferred to the secondary I noticed the large lumps of the coagulated proteins left from the whirflocs I suspect.

Should I be adding the whirflocs at a different point in the process or just strain when going from primary to secondary? I loved this batch so much (slightly simpler Chimay) that I am brewing it again and would love to refine my technique as well as incorporate a wort chiller. The batch tasted great, just didn't look that great with flakes of protein floating in some of the bottles. :confused:

My package says add tablet last 15min of boil

I have read here that last 5 minutes of the boil is preferred, and that half a tablet is all that is needed for a 5 gallon batch, although I toss the whole tablet

I throw one tablet in with 5 min. left in the boil, and have had great results.

It should be understood that Whirlfloc alone will not give you clear beer. You need a strong boil, quick cool, and a week or two cold conditioning as well.

I toss one tab in at the 15 min mark with my yeast energizer. Clears great on all of my brews so far. (along with cooling and so forth.}

The company that makes Whirfloc says a half tablet during the last five minutes of the boil. I have been using that method and my beer has gotten very clear lately.

:)

So then the whirfloc tablets would be responsible for what looked like protein dumplings that were in the fermented wort when I checked it after fermentation had been completed?? What is the best way to be rid of that?? I was just thinking to strain it as it went from fermenter to secondary. Is that the best way or should I do things a bit different??

Try straining when moving the wort from the kettle to the primary. There is usually trub that gets through to the primary, but that should settle out and not get racked to the secondary. Secondary usually is mostly yeast sediment.

You don't want to strain when racking from the primary fermenter to the secondary, as you can oxidize the beer then. You want to rack it as still as possible.

The company that makes Whirfloc says a half tablet during the last five minutes of the boil. I have been using that method and my beer has gotten very clear lately.

:)

I endorse this method. 1/2 tablet for five gallons is all that is needed.

And the motion is carried. Next topic please.....

I do a whole tablet within the last 10 minutes or so, when I remember. Seems like I actually forget about 50% of the time.

I endorse any explanation on how the hell you cut those tablets in half! They always crumble to powder when I try.

Heh. Had the problem yesterday. I took half the powder and chunks and threw them in at 5 min, and scraped the rest into the bag of tabs for later.

Heh. Had the problem yesterday. I took half the powder and chunks and threw them in at 5 min, and scraped the rest into the bag of tabs for later.
I endorse this explanation of my previous endorsement of the endorsement. Do I have your endorsement?

Back