Properly removing cup airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockittear

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of mead and keep accidentally spilling starsan solution from my cup airlock into my bucket fermenter; the first time was because I pressed on the lid like a noob and the second time was when I closed the lid after feeding it nutrients. (My batch is still okay from what I’ve read.)
I know it should be obvious but I just wanted to know the proper order for putting your airlock on and off the lid. First time around is easy enough because it’s empty, but when I need to open the lid for feeding do I need to remove the airlock before the lid? And when it’s time to put the lid back on should the airlock already be on it? Do I have to empty it first or is there a way to keep using the starsan already in it? As trivial as it may seem, I’d rather ask here than ruin my batch through trial and error. Thanks!

Last edited:
StarSan will not hurt your brew. I have heard that it actually has nutrients that are good for yeast.

I would remove the airlock before you remove (and replace) the lid to minimize the amount you spill into the brew, but don't worry if a little gets in.

My recommendation is to stop using 3 piece airlocks. Sure star San won’t hurt a beer but the dead fruit flies getting in there and then getting sucked in is just gross.

Back