proper way to use hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awielan

Reaction score
If I want to take a hydrometer reading i have to take a sample correct.

well the hydrometer looks like it has to sit a good 4 or so inches beneath the surface of the wort.

Do you have to discard the wort sample after you take the reading?
It just seems to me I would have to take a huge sample to be able to get the hydrometer to sit at a readable level only to just throw it out.

do people use test tubes?

Definitely use a test tube. My hydrometer came in one, and I only need to draw about 3 or 4 oz. per test, so I might lose a beer and a half total over fermentation.

Your hydometer should have came with a tube. Simply fill up the tube either with a turkey baster or just place it in the beer (I suggest the turkey baster, less chance of infection). Place the hydrometer in the tube full of wort (over the sink the excess will flow out), and take your reading.

Then sample the beer, it won't be carbed or finish but you will get a good idea how the beer tastes.

STEP 1. Fill that tube with distilled water at the temp on the hydrometer (usually 68*).
That will give you the real number of your hydrometer. I have yet to find one right on.

thanks guys! I thought the tube it came in might work, i guess thats what its for :)

Latest posts

Back