Proper use of campden tablets in a recipe that calls for the staggered addition of a sugar source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B. Halophilus

Reaction score
I'm very new to all this, but is my intent to brew an oaked apple maple acerglyn by slightly altering this recipe
http://meadist.com/making-mead/mead-recipes/sparkling-oaked-acerglyn-maple-mead-recipe/
My plan is to brew about five gallons--as per the recipe--but utilize an appropriate amount of campden tablets to preemptively sterilize the must 24 hours before pitching the yeast. However, this recipe calls for adding a quarter gallon of maple syrup before and ten days after pitching. What steps can I take to make sure that the second dose of maple syrup is properly sterile?

I plan on using EC-1118 yeast and after primary fermentation, the ABV should be hovering somewhere around 17-19%. This is when I intend to add about 750mL of apple cider. Should I use a campden tablet to sterilize the cider (which will likely be unpasteurized) or will the alcohol content prevent any bacteria from spreading?

The OP has two separate questions:

#1 When adding a quart of MAPLE SYRUP, can that be sterilized?

#2 He wants to add 750 ML of APPLE CIDER when the ABV is 17-19%.

My 2 cents: Don't worry about it the 17-19% alcohol should take care of any wild yeast in the cider you are adding. However, you can add sulfites to it if you want to.

Latest posts

Back