Proper Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laxkid90

Reaction score
I am reading Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Home Brewing", and am finding the basics do's and don'ts listed in his book differ significantly from the Brewers Best kit instructions. I have made two batches from kits, and am looking to step it up, however the contradictions between these two sources are now confusing me. Some examples:

Cooling wort in the pot vs. adding to chilled water.

Boiling the grains in partial extract brews vs. steep grain, then boil.

Straining wort when adding to primary vs. siphoning.

Primary for 3-4 days and secondary for 7-14 days vs. primary for 7 days secondary for 14-21 days.

I am finding inconsistencies between the two very frequently. I realize that there is not one correct way, and methods will differ based on beer styles, but which source should I be trusting? Has anybody had experience with both the Brewers Best kits and this book?

what kit are you using?
I bought a wort chiller, great to cut down time to pitch.
the Brewers Best Kits are good, have had luck with them.
The Book has so much info your head could explode like Johnny Mnemonic.
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
Here's another one to read,
I'm gonna stay away from secondary made me too nuts watching it
and the IPA's I like don't need it.

They both differ significantly from what many people (myself included) do. While methods do differ, I would say that you should never boil your grains and whether you siphon or strain from kettle to primary, you'll need to add a significant amount of O2. I usually accomplish this by dumping the beer back and forth several times between kettle and bucket.

Now, for the optional stuff - here's what I do - primary for 14-30 (or 60, if I forget) days. Transfer to bottling bucket and bottle.

My first kit was a BB Tripel. I knew nothing about brewing and fermented it at about 80 degrees. Super hot alcohol. I have a bottle left, now three years old. Yeah, still sucks. It will never mellow. Still, I learned a ton from that first experience. Now I use temp control, starters, etc.

My advice would be to read around here and use the search feature. Chances are, someone else has asked the same questions.

Good luck

By the way, when I was doing partial boil extract, I'd routinely chill with tap water. Worked fine. Never an infection that I was aware of. The suggestion for a wort chiller is a good one. Love mine.

My opinion on this matter is that there are many ways to make beer. They all work, but some make for better results than others.

I'd lean toward the book's directions more than the kit, but I don't agree 100% with their directions either

The kit instructions are written to be easy to follow and make beer. I think one of the tough parts starting this hobby is the long turn around time for beer. The kit tries to cut down the time needed which in my opinion, comes at the cost of quality.

I would highly suggest "how to brew" and reading the advice here on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am reading Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Home Brewing", and am finding the basics do's and don'ts listed in his book differ significantly from the Brewers Best kit instructions. I have made two batches from kits, and am looking to step it up, however the contradictions between these two sources are now confusing me. Some examples:

Cooling wort in the pot vs. adding to chilled water.

Boiling the grains in partial extract brews vs. steep grain, then boil.

Straining wort when adding to primary vs. siphoning.

Primary for 3-4 days and secondary for 7-14 days vs. primary for 7 days secondary for 14-21 days.

I am finding inconsistencies between the two very frequently. I realize that there is not one correct way, and methods will differ based on beer styles, but which source should I be trusting? Has anybody had experience with both the Brewers Best kits and this book?
Never boil grains,whether mashing or steeping. Grains should be steeped at 150-160F for about 30 minutes. In steeping,you can use a couple gallons of water safely.Partial mashing,however,is like AG insomuch as using 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain at 15-156F generally,depending on style. I chill the wort in an ice bath down to 75F or so. Then pour through a dual layer,fine mesh strainer into the fermenter. Then top off to recipe volume with local spring water (also used in mash) that's been chilled in the fridge a day or two before brew day. This gets the wort down to about 65F,a good temp for most ale yeasts. The act of straining also aerates the wort nicely,& the chilled top off water contains o2,since it hasn't had the dissolved o2 boiled off.
I leave it in primary 2 weeks before testing for FG. If it's at FG,then give it another 3-7 days to clean up by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging.

Back