Proper installation of a Temperature controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEUKRAINIAN

Reaction score
All,

I have purchased an analog temperature controller (Johnson Controls) and i f any one else out here has the same controller? thoughts, issues?

THEUKRAINIAN said:
All, I have purchased an analog temperature controller (Johnson Controls) and i f any one else out here has the same controller? thoughts, issues?

I use one on my basement beer fridge. I also have an STC-1000 on my ferm chamber and a Willhi WH7016C on my keezer. I actually like both of my digital controllers better than the analog. The analog controller works ok but it's a little too sensitive. I found it was kicking on the fridge every time I opened the door so I ended up submersing the bulb in a water bottle. The digital controllers are a bit more customizable and they're pretty cheap. I think I paid about $25 for each digital and around $50 for the analog.

microbusbrewery said:
I use one on my basement beer fridge. I also have an STC-1000 on my ferm chamber and a Willhi WH7016C on my keezer. I actually like both of my digital controllers better than the analog. The analog controller works ok but it's a little too sensitive. I found it was kicking on the fridge every time I opened the door so I ended up submersing the bulb in a water bottle. The digital controllers are a bit more customizable and they're pretty cheap. I think I paid about $25 for each digital and around $50 for the analog.

Now, wit your experience, is it worth placing a heating element in the fermentation chamber? I kind of realized I bought the wrong one and it won't control a heating element and I would be relying on the cooling coils from the ac unit. My goal was to make a fermentation chamber.

It kind of depends on what you want to brew and when...oh, and where you keep your ferm chamber. For example, my ferm chamber is in my garage. For most of the year it only uses cooling, but in the winter time it can get into the 40's so the heater kicks on in order to maintain temps in the 60's.

microbusbrewery said:
It kind of depends on what you want to brew and when...oh, and where you keep your ferm chamber. For example, my ferm chamber is in my garage. For most of the year it only uses cooling, but in the winter time it can get into the 40's so the heater kicks on in order to maintain temps in the 60's.

I talked to my LHBS and he suggested I return the analog unit to him and get the Johnson controls digital unit. This is due to the tempature of my home and the location of the refrigerator. With that said I wired up the controller and it works great. My question is, what is the definition of heating and cooling mode? What does it do exactly?

THEUKRAINIAN said:
I talked to my LHBS and he suggested I return the analog unit to him and get the Johnson controls digital unit. This is due to the tempature of my home and the location of the refrigerator. With that said I wired up the controller and it works great. My question is, what is the definition of heating and cooling mode? What does it do exactly?

In heating mode the relay is tripped when the measured temp drops below your set point...the intent being to turn on a heater. Cooling mode is just the opposite, it trips the relay when the measured temp is above your set point, thus turning on the fridge. On a single stage controller you have to pick which mode to run in; cooling or heating. On a dual stage controller it controls both cooling and heating at the same time.

microbusbrewery said:
In heating mode the relay is tripped when the measured temp drops below your set point...the intent being to turn on a heater. Cooling mode is just the opposite, it trips the relay when the measured temp is above your set point, thus turning on the fridge. On a single stage controller you have to pick which mode to run in; cooling or heating. On a dual stage controller it controls both cooling and heating at the same time.

Now I'm assuming the refrigerator I have has a heating unit built into the ac compressor unit?

Now I'm assuming the refrigerator I have has a heating unit built into the ac compressor unit?

I would assume not.

I use a small heater in the winter and use the heating mode. Obviously, when the temp drop below limit, it turns my heater on. Some people people use bulbs instead, I use a heater with safety switch in case it falls over.

There is even a dual stage controller that will run both heat and cool. But the setup I use (single stage) I have to switch the power plug from my chest freezer to the heater and program accordingly.

I'm not aware of anything like that unless it's something that has to do with a defroster/frost-free function. Regardless, if you run your controller in cooling mode it is going to cut power to the fridge once it reaches your set point. Most people that I know of add a heater (paint can with light bulb, reptile heater, mini space heater, etc.) to the fridge and use a dual stage controller like the STC-1000.

microbusbrewery said:
I'm not aware of anything like that unless it's something that has to do with a defroster/frost-free function. Regardless, if you run your controller in cooling mode it is going to cut power to the fridge once it reaches your set point. Most people that I know of add a heater (paint can with light bulb, reptile heater, mini space heater, etc.) to the fridge and use a dual stage controller like the STC-1000.

I see, there are a lot of threads with this unspoken concept, and a lot of people think there is a heating element in the refrigerator.

Back