Propane tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Beer Buster
Reaction score
Im getting a 185, 000 btu burner tomorrow but am wondering will a 5 lb propane tank last at least through a 5 gallon AG brew day or should I have 2 on hand. If it will last 1, how many would it do?

I agree with having a spare tank. Going to the gas station to pick up a full tank is a real pita, especially if you've had too much to drink to be driving and have to carry the full tank home.

Okay, maybe Im an idiot for stating a 5 lb.prop. tank as I dont even know what I have. I have what normally comes with a gas grill, so on average, how long will that last and i will fill my other tank but just want to have a basic idea.

I get at least 5 batches out of my tank. I have a good rolling boil going for about 75 minutes. I boil about 7.5 gallons.

I'd still like to see the manufactures specs that say these burners are 185,000 BTU.

BTU's are usually assumed as being BTU's per hour. My 60,000 BTU/Hr Camp Chef can get 7 gallons of cold tap water from about 45* to full boil in under 20 minutes. Also, I can heat enough water to mash, sparge, and do hour long boils for 4-5 gallon batches as well as grill a few steaks in the meantime on one 5 gallon tank.

FWIW 5 gallons of propane is 336,000 BTU.

Wade E said:
Okay, maybe Im an idiot for stating a 5 lb.prop. tank as I dont even know what I have. I have what normally comes with a gas grill, so on average, how long will that last and i will fill my other tank but just want to have a basic idea.

Bahh, not an idiot, just underestimating. You've most likely got a 20lb tank. I have a 155btu burner, and I'd say I could get at least a good 5-6 brews out of it.

yea I was going to say, if you're using a 5 lb tank, you should get one good brew session out of it before you have to refill. But if it's the standard tank that comes with a BBQ, then it's a 20 lb tank and you're fine.

This is a 20lb propane tank:
GrillGaugeInUse.jpg

most likely what you have. it'll last for a full batch. but when you can afford it, get a backup tank.
and remember you can refill propane before its empty, and you'll only pay for what's filled (unlike CO2 which you need an empty tank and always pay for a full fill)

Thanks everyone. I see now that i do have a 20 lb. tank and you have answered my question. Appreciate it! Also, the King Kooker they the stated on their site says 185,000 BTU's but that is a misprint and looked at King Kookers website and it says 105,000 BTU's but the box that my LHBS has says 54,000 so i had to come home and rethink it and check their site before paying that much for a standard cooker. Ill probably just g with a standard cooker for now after seeing some prices for boil pots, are these things made of Gold?

I was in the Walmart garden department last week (go figure) and found a nifty dial guage that screws between the tank and gas line fittings. It cost about $18 and with one of these babies you'll not need to invest in a second tank.

That pressure gauge isn't going to tell you you're running low until it's a bit too late. You don't want to end up empty in the middle of a brew. A backup allows you to run them completely dry for no waste. If I had to brew propone though, I'd get like a 100lb tank.

Those pressure gauge additions just suck your wallet thinner, depending on the tank temp there is a wide pressure difference within those gauge readings unless it's a float system. Just look for the frost line or weigh a full vs empty tank. They fill 20 pounders just over 4 gallons of liquid propane so your 5 gallon btu energy spec numbers used is a false reading. I'm still in the planning stages for a 240 volt heated system in the future plus have a 6KW generator for backup. Power in my area has a failure rate at 3 minutes a year maximum. JMO's.

Back