Propane tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDealer

Reaction score
How long does a propane tank last on average for a 55,000 btu burner? I'm doing a 5 gallon pilsner batch with a total cook time of about an hour and ten minutes. I think my tank might be a little less than half full. Any suggestions?

To many variables to say. With my set up though I would not worry for another 4 or so batches but I get tons of batches out of a bottle

You gave all the info needed. Time and BTU. You'll burn around 2.75 pounds in the time frame at full bore. One lb of LP is about 22K BTU/Hr.

Start to weigh you tanks before and after so you can see how much you are using. This will help out in the future and avoid the half tank fill ups. Also have a spare thank around too. I keep mine stored under my grill.

22k BTU/lb is pretty close. Also, keep in mind that a lot of your convienent mart tank swaps only give you 15lb of propane in a 20lb cylinder...

Latest posts

Back