Propane Tank Stored on Side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Not exactly brewing equipment specifically, but it's with respect to my brew stand build so figured it was okay to post here:

I know I can't operate (draw from) a propane tank when the tank is on its side, but if I wanted to rig up a cradle for a spare tank on my stand, could the tank be stored safely on its side?

For what it's worth, just did a quick google search and came up with this.

For example, always store the tanks in an upright position. That's because the top of the tank is where the pressure relief valves (safety valves) are located. When upright, if excessive pressure builds up, these valves will pop and bleed vapor off. While this is not good, it is not as bad as the consequences of having the tanks resting on their sides. In that position, the safety valves would bleed off raw liquid propane.

Not a good idea, when the tank relief valve opens the liquid propane will be discharged instead of vapor, (Big blast). Even with OPD tank device you can run the risk of radiant heat from a burner heating the unused tank to a temperature where the relief valve will open, bad news with tank upright as uncontrolled flow of propane will ignite, the timing will determine the fireball size when it ignites. The tank in use will be internally cooled by the propane as it used, which will reduce the pressure as the propane and tank get colder and prevent heat from burner overpressurizing the tank.

The existence of the relief valve makes it also not a good idea to store extra tanks near active flame. This is why cabinet style propane grills come with various fixtures within that block the storage of a spare tank...

Cheers!

Back