Propane tank in car during errands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind River

Reaction score
Ok...I know...stupid question, probably but...

I need to brew on Saturday but the propane tank is light and I don't want to chance running out during my boil. Problem is we live in a rural area and the closest place to get a refill is around 35 miles away so it looks like I'll have to get the refill during our weekly errand run on Saturday.

Question is: I will be leaving the tank in the car during lunch (around an hour) and then grocery shopping (less than an hour)...the rest of the time the car will be air conditioned. In your experience, will there be any danger in doing this? Previously I have been able to make special trips to refill but I am in a time crunch this week and HAVE to get that beer brewed this weekend :mug:

Would appreciate any insights you guys have.

Open your windows slightly, look for a shadey place to park, use a windsheild reflector if you have one

Not to take it too lightly, but if all of the BMC swilling, backyard grilling, bozos in america can do it without blowing themselves up, an intelligent and conscientious homebrewer like you will be fine.

Ya know cheezy, I hadn't looked at it that way before but if my neighbor (who must have been the inspiration for the backwoods characters in "Deliverance") can do it without blowing half the parking lot up...surely I can!

(before starting to homebrew a few months ago, I had zero experience with propane....)

Contrary to popular belief, none of the gas tanks you get filled will cause problems in those temperatures. I have taken several welding classes in which gas cylindars were obviously a hot topic. The pressures that they fill the tanks at is well below what your car will get to on a hot day. For safety reasons welding companies and the such will fill them lower than is possible. Propane for example is one of the safer ones at high temperatures. I have actually heated a propane tank to well above 150 degrees, dont ask why or how, its crazy, but I work in the food equipment service business and we see people that are afraid of gas all of the time, when in reality it is just as harmless as non combustable gas.

Even if the pressure relief blew out, your car will not come even close to the point of ignition, so there is no explosion, just the release of a gas. Which you would smell when you open the door, and move away with the doors open. Within minutes your car would be cleared and you would be safe.

The basic point that I am making is that even the most flamible gas, hydrogen, wont "explode" even in the hottest vehicle that we will ever see. It may blow the relief but all passengers and vehicle will be safe. Just make sure that when you get back in the car you open the windows. Some gases are oderless, propane is not so you would know right away, but co2 you would not notice, so opening the windows is critical.

Think about all those wal-marts and gas stations where you see propane tanks sitting in locked cages for weeks on end. They just sit there, in the heat, filled, ready to be purchased, and they don't explode or cause any problems or anything. You'll be fine.

Four to four and a quarter gallons that's all they fill 'em these days vs the full five gallons. There is a large gas space above the liquid (thanks for those new valves) besides it would take a long time for that bottle mass of four plus gallons to get heated up. Look at those bed mounted propane tanks in pickup beds exposed all day in the sun. I find it crazy the price of propane these days here in Calif, I have natural gas but still will go a fully electrictly heated system.
Have you thought about getting a larger tank?

I remember seeing a photo our gas supplier brought one day. Another customer had an acetylene tank with a small leak in his car. Everything was OK until he hit the electric door locks.

I for one wouldn't risk it. Fill the tank up last if it absolutely has to be in the passenger compartment of the car.

I was with my aunt some 16-17 years ago. Brand new propane tank. Got it filled. Went to a movie. came out of movie, the propane tank was venting in the trunk of her car.

I would get it filled as your very LAST errand.

The only time I have had a bottle vent due to overheating is when I filled one of those legal 12.5 oz refillable torch bottles with the adapter off a 20# bottle and filled it to the brim. My fault for not allowing gas space for expansion. Federal law says it's a no no to refill those short fat one shot 16 oz and 12.5 oz one shot or use bottles. Been refilling those for 20 years packed for camping without any pop off problems in the vehicles. I tilt and fill to 75% max fill while pulling the overpressure relief valve with needle nose pliers.

I remember seeing a photo our gas supplier brought one day. Another customer had an acetylene tank with a small leak in his car. Everything was OK until he hit the electric door locks.

I for one wouldn't risk it. Fill the tank up last if it absolutely has to be in the passenger compartment of the car.

It's hard to have any product available to the public or human race with idiots like the above post. Acetylene has one hell of a smell no matter how small of a leak. Hard to protect idiots from self distruction. Nothing related from having a overheated tank venting in this above quote just stupidity. Acetylene bottles being black and on the side of welding rigs are in the sun all day and never have a problem but then this is a normal working tool they are trained to use. "You can't fix stupid".

they also have these magical cars that run on propane.....I wonder where you store the tank when you stop to run an errand.

My friend of many years ('ex Top Fuel dragster owner builder) had a 60 or 75 gallon propane tank in the 67 Dodge PU bed by the cab in the sun all the time. He took many trips with it to Arizona, Utah, Nevada and parked in the sun all day without any problems. The safety factor is high before the overpressure pops not alone the many times over in the tanks structural build. Down side was with an almost empty tank in the mornings with 20*F temps the progressive 4 barrel fed (home made by him) 440ci was sluggish due to the lowered propane presssure in the tank. Yes it took a couple propane regulators to just feed this animal. I had a pleasure to smoke the tires on this greatly designed pupose built propane powered truck. Not your average converted gas to propane POS vehicle. Sorry off topic a bit, A&P mechanic coming out, gearhead at heart with a thirst for a good brew.

Rather than taking a risk (no matter how remote,) I would make a special trip just for the propane tank then do my other errands afterwards. Swap the tank and take it home then do whatever it is you need to do.

Back