Quantcast

Propane Regulator for Cold Crash?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple posts I read today got me thinking...why not use a standard low pressure propane regulator to supply CO2 to a fermenter during a cold crash?. Turning a standard CO2 regulator down that far doesn't really work but these are designed to work reliably at 11" WC (about 0.4 PSI) which would be fine for about any fermenter. The regulators run about $10. Probably spend more than that on fittings but it seems like the whole thing could be built for under $25, maybe under $20. Anyone try it before?

garzlok

Reaction score
You mean this...
3FCD493A-DCA0-4249-9636-29B8866A31F7.jpeg

Yep! @day_trippr nonchalantly mentioned doing this, and it was a WTF moment.

So, it has now become part of “the process”. Thanks again Dave!! :mug:

OP
M

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nice. It seems much simpler than CO2 harvesting methods if you've already got a CO2 supply at your fermenters for pressure transfers.

Where did you find a regulator with a mounting bracket?

garzlok

Reaction score
matt_m said:
Nice. It seems much simpler than CO2 harvesting methods if you've already got a CO2 supply at your fermenters for pressure transfers.

Where did you find a regulator with a mounting bracket?
Those are just 2 Stainless Steel U-bolts holding the LP regulator in place.

I utilize the canister CO2 when cold crashing. Prior to cold crash, I switch a couple valves to direct the CO2 produced during fermentation to a StarSan filled keg so I can purge the keg with free CO2. I then use that keg to do a closed transfer fill of the keg.