Propane, open fire & stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riastradh

Reaction score
I don't have a burner, are propane burners an american thing? I was wondering if boiling 5 gallons could be done on top of the cooker or if anyone has used an open fire before?

If you used a cooker or open fire, how did you find that anything worth noting? Why would I be better off using a propane burner if so?

Thanks people

well considering grilling and BBQ are both American i would say yes propane burners are an American thing. and quite handy for brewing. i would recommend trying the cooker first. do an experiment and see if you can bring enough water to boil for a batch of beer. if you can then use that. if you cant get the cooker to work try to find a propane burner. they are quite safe and very useful in brewing. if all else fails use the open fire but take appropriate safety precautions. also i would be a little concerned about smoke and ash getting into my brew using an open fire.

Cheers, that's an ample reply. I've never heard of a propane burner before joining this forum. Most people where I live use peat fires, not for brewing beer as home brewing is quite a rarity here. I think there are only two brewing shops in the entire country, and they're across the border in the republic :p

I'll try out the cooker!

Thanks again

Google search turkey fryer. You'll find many propane turkey fryers that will do 5 gallon batched very nicely. I've managed to to make 30 gallons of beer using a single 6.8 Kg propane tank and there is still fuel remaining.

Back