Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
Does anyone here use thier propane burner indoors? I've always read that you shoul not. However, I'd love to get my complete setup going in my basement, but I'm concerned about the burner. Moving everything outside on brew day is a pain in the ass.

Thanks

an indoor propane burner is a bad idea.... if you want to brew indoors, go electric.

atom said:
an indoor propane burner is a bad idea.... if you want to brew indoors, go electric.

Or install one hell of a ventilation system. Carbon monoxide.

i brew in my basement with a propane burner. burner is about 6 feet from wide open bilco doors and theres a window 5 feet above burner and many other windows open that feed the doors.
no problems for me.

I use propane in my basement also. I have a standard range hood above burner and crack a few windows for makeup air. Never had a problem.

If you do the indoor route with proper ventilation, buy a carbon monoxide detector to install down there. Carbon monoxide detectors are fairly cheap and will let you know if you have a problem.

Easterbrook said:
If you do the indoor route with proper ventilation, buy a carbon monoxide detector to install down there. Carbon monoxide detectors are fairly cheap and will let you know if you have a problem.

This. For $20 you get piece of mind and significantly decrease your chances of ending up as a "weird hobby gone wrong" story on the local news.

In the basement especially, you'll have to have proper ventilation. This means air coming in as well as going out. Don't just stick a fan in the window. If you decide to do this, please, please be careful and check with a pro on how to set it up.

Approves.
hankhill.jpg

Is it safe to bake a cake or boil water on a kitchen LP/Nat Gas stove/oven? Adjust your equipment correctly: it is just a burner, not a dragon or a nuclear reactor.

The key to success here is "proper ventilation". As others have mentioned above, it is done all the time, but you have to have adequate air exchange. I unfortunately don't have the luxury of a basement, but will use my propane burner in the garage in the winter, with the door cracked open enough to circulate the air.

Natural gas stoves are not the same as LP. Propane is more dense than air and pools on the ground, creating pockets that are likely to ignite from flame sources like your burner or a water heater if you're in the basement. Unless I'm mistaken, NG is less dense than air and will disperse, making ignition pockets less likely.
Check with your homeowner's insurance as well, there may be something in there about propane being used indoors. If you were to have a fire, it would be a shame if your insurance didn't cover it

I have a squirrel cage fan in the window with a slide gate. On the other side of the room I have a slide gate in another window for make up air. Absolutely no problems. The propane tank is outside because it is home service.

In the rural United States what do you imagine they store in those big silver/white tanks near the house? We used to call it butane, but it is commonly liquified propane gas. Household heating and cooking fuel for rural residences.

As someone else mentioned, a stove burner is not the same as a turkey fryer burner. I know that some areas have LP for heating, my parents have LP in their house, but they have electric appliances, so I don't know about LP stoves

Au contraire, a range burner or oven burner is precisely the same thing as a turkey fryer burner: fuel air mix, ignition, flame, heat, etc. The question is, whether the fuel air mix is correct: yellow flame = inefficient burning = elevated levels of CO residual. Blue flame = efficient burning = minimal levels of CO gas residual. Water heaters, knee burner heaters, ranges and ovens are same as turkey fryer. Leaking fuel gas is a completely different concern and MUST NOT be allowed. Farm boy turned professional firefighter for a long time now.

Back