Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
I'm working on stepping up to a keggle with a propane burner. I must have read 20 threads on burners and I've narrowed it down to either the SP10 or the SQ14. They're at the same price point but there are differences between the two. The SP10 has a higher heat rating but doesn't fit a keg as is (although it's very simple to mod). The SQ14 fits a keg out of the box but, apparently, it does fine with large boils. Well, what is fine? I'd love some real numbers. How long do you plan for your burner to hit mash temps? How long to boil? The SP10 will get to temp faster. Wait a minute, the next posts says it won't be faster because the extra heat is lost in efficiency. How much faster? Is it 10 minutes faster or is it 45?

If it helps, in a 30 degree garage my KAB4 took 8 gallons of 50 degree water to 166 degrees in just about 20 minutes.

Back