Propane Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinci-Brewing

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch of beer, a recipe that I wrote and have been planning for over a month. This was my first extract 60 minute boil and It's obvious that the stove is just not going to cut it. While it works, it take hours to get up to a full boil.

The only options i see for this would be the propane burner below. Are there any downsides to using this method other then i got to worry about being outside and bugs around me?.

I take it the propane burner is safe like a grill and wont impart anything into the beer from propane gasses being given off?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/king-kooker.html

There are actually a lot of options out there for a propane burner. Northern Brewer carries a few:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners

Pretty much any of them will do the trick, though we all have our preferences. No worries with using propane for brewing, and lots of us brew outside. Some use some type of screen over the open brewpot to keep any nasties from falling into the boil, but other than a rogue bee now and then, I've never had any issues with brewing outside, other than occasional wind issues - I still need to build a wind screen for my setup.

Yeah, a propane burner is good if you're doing full boils or are using a steel pot. I brew outdoors with my AG brewing. But if you're doing 2 gallons or under, you could use a stove if you don't want to get into propane burners. My mom had a similar situation when she thought she'd get a nice steel pot for her brewing. She quickly found that it was too thick to get a boil going. So we transfered the wort to a thin aluminum pot and it quickly got underway.

I've been using a double propane burner for about 6 years and would not go back to the stove. It took forever to get the kettle to boil on the stove and my brew day would be about 12 hours long; now, for the same batch, I can get it to 5 hours with propane. I would definitely suggest getting a propane burner for AG batches.

Thanks for the replies. I'm using a 5 gallon brew kettle, if i do a 2 gallon kit that's pre-hopped, no problem although it still takes awhile. But a full 60 minute boil, it just takes to long so i think the propane burner is what i need. I'll look into screens to keep bugs out.

I'll look into screens to keep bugs out.

FWIW, I've been doing AG for almost a couple years. Have never used a screen or anything, and have never had a bug land in my open boils. I also have the most basic Bayou burner that you get at Home Depot, and it works fine.

FWIW, I've been doing AG for almost a couple years. Have never used a screen or anything, and have never had a bug land in my open boils. I also have the most basic Bayou burner that you get at Home Depot, and it works fine.

Thanks. I was going to order mine online, but if Home Depot has them, that saves me money on shipping.

I'll tell you what man, ebay has some amazing deals.

I found a 7 1/2 gallon alum pot w/ a great propane burner for $50. Shipping was only $10. Also came with everything you ever needed to fry a turkey.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SQ14-Single-Outdoor/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1272177452&sr=8-3

This is what I use. I like it because it's really stable. I have a ten gallon pot and it fits with plenty of extra room.

If you look around online you can find free shipping. Mine shipped free from amazon.

I use the exact same one, picked up locally at Home Depot, and I love it. I use a 15.5 gallon keggle on it, and it definitely takes care of business.

As far as the bug screen, don't worry about it. Unless you're brewing at night directly under a light or something, it shouldn't be an issue. I've been doing all-grain outside in my keggle for a while, no bug-in-wort issues yet.

I'll look into screens to keep bugs out.

eventually you'll be adding bugs to your brew

your boil will kill and sterilize any bugger that drops in. I'm drinking a batch i've named Lupin Sting. It's a pale that a couple bees decided to get too close to in the boil.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is what I use. I like it because it's really stable. I have a ten gallon pot and it fits with plenty of extra room.

If you look around online you can find free shipping. Mine shipped free from amazon.

I use this burner with a 15 gallon megapot, stable as can be and works awesome! I got mine from Amazon too. 49 + free shipping = good deal for me. Gets 8 gallons to boil from 52*F in about 30 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back