Propane Burner Residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopShepard

Reaction score
Hi, first post, been reading the site for a month or so.

I've brewed a few batches now, and just used a new turkey fryer for the first time to brew this weekend.

I was getting some sort of greasy black residue all over the bottom and up the sides of my pot from the flames coming out of the burner. Is there a way to get this to stop?

I wasn't sure if it was just the paint burning off of the stand, or if the flame was somehow adjusted wrong? I was getting some flames coming out from off the bottom of the pot and up the side when I had it on high flame, but figured that was probably standard OP for these cookers.

It's the King Kooker that was on sale from Cabelas a few weeks ago. Thanks for any help.

I get that as well. I haven't found it to be 'too' annoying, as I just scrub it off after I'm done with it.

Why do you want to stop that? Is it getting in the boil? Mine just blackens the bottom and a little of the sides.

It's soot. A little bit is normal. A lot is a sign your burner is running too rich and needs more air.

+1 to the soot. It could also be residue from the paint burning off the cooker. In this case, it will disappear after a few batches.

-a.

Thanks, it could very well be that it was running too rich.

I wanted to eliminate it as much as I can because I was getting it on me, and on my kitchen floor, sink, etc. I was just figuring that from now on I would rack into my fermentor outside, and no more ice bath's in the sink. I had an IC, but it was about 100 degrees out that day, and I could only get my wort down to about 100, had to do the rest in an ice bath.

Up the air to gas mixture. Usually a vented 'disc' where the propane hose connects to the burner.

I had the same problem, I took the burner itself apart and cleaned it. My pot now looks the same before brewing, and after.

*edit: forgot to mention, the best thing for cleaning that black residue, is Bar Keepers Friend found at wal-mart and what-not for around $2.00

Back