Propane Burner Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a brew stand which has been giving me issues. When there are no pots on it, it lights up great and gets really hot; however, when I put my kettles on it, the flames are really weak and I can barely get anything to boil. I'm wondering if the diameter of the pot is too big and it's choking because of lack of air coming from above. Here is what the ring looks like: http://i.imgur.com/zgoeNXa.jpg. I'm wondering if cutting the tabs that put it flush to the stand will help the issue. I've made sure to clean the burners completely, replace the gasket, and make sure all the tips are open.

It's not for lack of "air from above". Your burner is being smothered by the pot because there's no exit for the expanded exhaust (iirc, for every unit volume of make-up air there's at least two units of exhaust due to thermal expansion).

Given your windshield appears to be welded to the frame (quite common) the easiest solution that many folks end up using is to attach spacers to the frame to elevate the pot by an inch. You could use short pieces of 1" square bar or tubing in a diamond pattern following the top edges of the windshield. But you can't close up that whole area or you'll have the same problem, just taller...

Cheers!

Oh, quick question: is there any easy way to attach this without welding it? I'd have to find a welder otherwise and have no idea how I'd move the stand.

First, I just noticed the windscreen panels are split with the smaller sections at the top. Any chance you can remove those, leaving the major portion of the screen intact, without wreaking havoc on the frame?

I'm having trouble conjuring a solution that doesn't require welding without knowing how broadly the kettle rests on the stand. If there is substantial overhang beyond the frame members, you could screw strategically placed sections of square tube to the top of the frame.

Whatever you do you want it to work and be secure. Definitely don't want a hot kettle on the rampage...

Cheers!

Yes, those are the "tabs" I mentioned I was planning on removing. I think it would be easy enough to do. And agreed, I definitely don't want a 30 gallon kettle tipping over...

Back