Propane burner indoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djanvk

Reaction score
Propane seems to burn pretty cleanly but is there any issues with fumes if I would burn my propane burner indoors like down in my basement? I currently do it in my garage with the garage door cracked a bit but was curious if I could in a closed space like a basement. Natural gas burns clean enough, I was wondering about the propane.

Thanks.

Propane not only produces CO gas, which is colorless, odorless, and deadly, but leaked propane will travel alone the floor and can find ignition sources. There's a good chance you'll void your insurance if using it indoors results in a claim.

That being said many people do use propane indoors. They tend to take extreme measures to ventilate and they use CO detectors. In the end it's up to you if you want to take the chance, but just be aware of all the dangers.

If you want to read about some debates, try running a search on the topic. It comes up from time to time.

It burns clean, but puts of a bunch of CO2. You need ventilation so you don't suffocate yourself. There are a ton of threads around about what is/isn't sufficient for brewing indoors if you do a search, but I think for the most part the common theory on the limit of safeness/comfort is what you are doing with a garage with the door cracked. It can keep you relatively warm in these cold months, but keep enough fresh air coming in. Plus you can always open the door all the way and set air exchange quickly

there are a number of threads on this. bottom line, carbon monoxide is deadly and is not worth the risk IMO. some have rigged fans to do this in basement, but most will recommend against it. wherever you decide to brew with propane indoors, please use a carbon monoxide detector.

That's what I was wondering if there was excess CO involved with propane. I'll stick to my garage because I keep the door about 1/2 open when it's colder out for good ventilation just in case and know I know. Thanks

That's what I was wondering if there was excess CO involved with propane. I'll stick to my garage because I keep the door about 1/2 open when it's colder out for good ventilation just in case and know I know. Thanks

Yeah, keep it safe. You've only had 39 posts since NOV 2007, we'd like to hear more from you. :drunk:

I think you mean carbon monoxide, not carbon dioxide. ;)

Actually both, and in an ideal combustion, propane only produces CO2 and H2O as byproducts, but since this is a real world scenario and ambient air is used for the combustion there are many carbon based compounds produced (including both CO and CO2) along with nitrogen based compounds as well. CO gets all the press because of the "silent killer status", but there are many other nasties in there that will kill you also.

I usually brew on a propane burner in my low-ceiling kitchen, on the linoleum floor, with the windows closed, while standing in a puddle and sticking a fork in my toaster.

Actually both, and in an ideal combustion, propane only produces CO2 and H2O as byproducts, but since this is a real world scenario and ambient air is used for the combustion there are many carbon based compounds produced (including both CO and CO2) along with nitrogen based compounds as well. CO gets all the press because of the "silent killer status", but there are many other nasties in there that will kill you also.

You are indeed correct, sir. Sorry to have improperly corrected you. :eek:

So, how do people survive when they run their homes on propane?

Seriously, I have always been perplexed by this. Is it to do with the lower pressure thus reduced volume?

I do it in my basement but I live on the side of a mountain with a walkout basement and a ton of windows that I open. Only part of my basement is below grade and the ceilings are high too. If my basement was completely below grade I wouldn't do it. It's more of a big garage (and a home for mice) than it is a basement. CO is heavier than air and would fill your basement quickly if something went wrong. I have a CO detector in the basement too but it is still probably a dumb thing to do. I have done it in the kitchen on the floor with my bayou burner and cookie sheet below it. We have porcelin tile floor and it can definately withstand the heat. Do whatever works for you but make sure you think about the risks and consequences too! Also, keep a fire extinguisher handy!

So, how do people survive when they run their homes on propane?

Seriously, I have always been perplexed by this. Is it to do with the lower pressure thus reduced volume?

My house is heated by a propane furnace. There is a pipe pulling combustion air in from outdoors and a separate larger pipe discharging exhaust through a fan. I suspect the combustion chamber is sealed completely.

Back