Propane Burner for new AG setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
So I'm getting back into brewing after a 2 year hiatus, and I finally have the room to go all grain. I'm looking to buy a propane burner this week and have been struggling between the Bayou Classic SP-10 and SQ-14. There's a million posts on this and I still can't make a decision. The SP-10 has a much higher BTU rating, but the SQ-14 might be more stable especially if I decide to brew larger batches down the road. I've ruled out the KAB-4 because I've heard it's hard to control the heat when brewing 5 gallon batches (7-8 gallon boil). I typically brew with a 32 quart aluminum kettle. Any advice is appreciated!

Don't know where you got that ding on the KAB4, I used the same BG14 burner element on 5 gallon batches (10g BK and HLT kettles) for a decade without issues, the same for 10 gallon batches (20g kettles) - all on a 0-10 psi regulator.

Indeed, of the three burners you list, if I had room in the budget, I'd make a bee-line for the KAB4 or similar burner (KAB6, or Blichmann Floor Burner, going up the price ladder, for instance) as it has the best flame pattern, uses less fuel per session, and is hands-down the quietest.

Otherwise, the SP-10 uses the BG10 burner, usually ships with a 0-30 psi reg, is loud as heck and is less than frugal with fuel.
The SQ-14 uses the BG12 burner which has a better flame pattern and runs way quieter. That'd be my second choice...

Cheers!

Not sure what you mean with a KAB4. I assume you mean the flame goes out if you crank it? Due to the flame pattern, there is no need to crank it. Just follow the instructions and it works just fine. My only dislike is that the paint burns off the frame for the first couple of batches.

Don't know where you got that ding on the KAB4, I used the same BG14 burner element on 5 gallon batches (10g BK and HLT kettles) for a decade without zero issues, the same for 10 gallon batches (20g kettles) - all on a 0-10 psi regulator.

Indeed, of the three burners you list, if I had room in the budget, I'd make a bee-line for the KAB4 or similar burner (KAB6, or Blichmann Floor Burner, going up the price ladder, for instance) as it has the best flame pattern, uses less fuel per session, and is hands-down the quietest.

Otherwise, the SP-10 uses the BG10 burner, usually ships with a 0-30 psi reg, is loud as heck and is less than frugal with fuel.
The SQ-14 uses the BG12 burner which has a better flame pattern and runs way quieter. That'd be my second choice...

Cheers!

A couple of threads I read said that the KAB-4 heats so quickly that it's easy to overshoot target temps and you go through fuel quickly. If that's not the case, then great since originally that's what I wanted. That's why I posted this thread. I'll probably never brew anything larger than a 5 gallon batch, so also not sure if the KAB-4/6 is overkill?

I think there are some outdated comments about the older model where there was a sizable gap between the wind shield and pot. This caused heat loss and more fuel usage. The new design has closed this gap. I have no complaints and routinely brew 5 gallon batches. Unfortunately I can't give you an estimate on how many batches I get per tank since I use the same tanks on my grill. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

It's currently on Amazon for 72.99 and free shipping with prime. I think that's a helluva deal. If it sucks, I assume you could probably swap it for a different burner.

I got the ole bayou classic turkey fryer and it works just fine. I have looked at other burners myself, but like you, I'll never brew a ten gallon session. So my cheap burner is more than sufficient. Choose wisely, don't waste money for a name

I do 5gal BIAB. Dark Star 2.0 is a great burner. It can put out way more BTU than i ever need. It's loud, if you crank it way up, but there's no need to do so.

fwiw, the Dark Star 2.0 uses what appears to be a BG12 burner - unlike the DS 1.0 (aka "Soot Machine") that used a badly tuned BG10 look-alike...

Cheers!

I've been using an SQ-14 for a few years now, boiling 7 or so gallons for 5 gallon batches. It's worked out great so far - stable, easy to control flame, and pretty efficient as far as I can tell.

I have the SQ14, and it is not loud at all. I do sometimes wonder if there is flame coming from each of the holes all the time, and I have blown it out by cranking it all the way up really fast.

A wind screen would be a nice feature, assuming it really works rather than the wind going around it anyway. I sometimes set up a makeshift cardboard screen to reduce the wind. (A 3-sided plywood screen that folds up would be a nice solution to shield not just the burner, but the pot as well, to keep heat in.)

I've used the KAB4 for years when making 5 gal batches and have zero issues with temp control. If desired, it heats VERY quickly (which I love) and can maintain a nice, easy rolling boil using very little propane. I love it.

I've used the KAB4 for years when making 5 gal batches and have zero issues with temp control. If desired, it heats VERY quickly (which I love) and can maintain a nice, easy rolling boil using very little propane. I love it.

Amazon has the KAB6 today for $56! Never seen it that cheap. Any downside to getting the KAB6 instead of the 4 which is $75?

THe KAB6 is incrementally better than the KAB4, primarily in the stand/pot rest thickness and overall width.

At that price you'd be nutty to not go with the 6...

Cheers!

Back