Propane Burner and Wind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
Don't know if this goes in this part of the forum or not but today it's going to rain all day so I'm postponing my brewing till tomorrow. The only problem is tomorrow there is going to be 25 mph winds most of the day. I don't know if it is save or not to use a propane burner in that level of wind. Any ideas?

All-weather, outdoor windscreen (and hopefully a candidate for the BM Ugly Junk awards). :D

5408-winter_boiling.jpg

I've been wanting to construct some sort of wind shield like bradsul's, but haven't yet. I've just been using a camp chair as a wind block and it seems to help.

I haven't measured, but it seems that evaporation rates are quicker in the cold and wind. I think my last 60 minute boil went from 7-4.5 gallons.

Don't have a garage unfortunately, live in an apartment.

Bad effects on the garage door??? Like catching it on fire???

As long as you keep the door open a foot or so and provide adequate ventilation you should be fine.

You will be fine, just get a shield of some sort. I have brewed with the garage door closed (propane) and the service door and a window slightly ajar with no ill-effects.

I brew in my garage all the time. I crack the door about 4 or 5 inches and put the boil kettle a couple feet from the door. No problem with ventalation.

Ventelation is the key.

Brewing in a garage won't stain anything. The "colored" parts of the wort stay in your kettle, it's water that rises out as steam. :)

I brew in my basement but I ensure both sides are open for a cross-breeze and I make sure I'm sitting near the door. It's great for those days when 45 minutes into the boil it starts raining, or the wind (like today!) is trying to put out the burner. :)

I wouldn't be to worried about the garage door... but then again I dont have a garage, so don't listen to me...

aekdbbop said:
no, i mean will it stain the door above the wort?

I live in a windy area and I just go in the garage and open the door about 1/2 way no stains so far and the evaporation rate is more predictable

Wind was actually not that bad when I started. My boil was somewhat wimpy but I think that has more to do with the new brew pot. The diameter of the pot is a bit thicker than the other one so it does not fit in the turkey fryer burner so it's about an inch higher than it should be.

Our yard is quite sheltered so wind is not usually real bad. I brew just inside the garage door with the door fully open. Given our yard this results in virtually no wind around my burner. I just don't trust any less ventilation for an "outdoor" burner.

I have not noticed and stains in our garage but then the door is brown and the underside of the roof is bare 80 yr old wood so I probably would not notice much any ways.

Craig

Back