Propane and electric brewing together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntpilsner

Reaction score
I've been reading some threads on here (and other places) regarding propane vs natural gas vs electric brewing, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on using propane and electric together.
I've been doing electric brewing for almost a year with a 1600W induction burner and a 10-gal. Bayou Classic pot, and believe it or not, it does pretty well. But it takes for.e.ver.
I don't want to do any re-wiring at this point, so that's about as good as it gets for electric, but I just bought a Bayou Classic SP10 burner off amazon, and I plan to try it out this weekend now that the weather is more cooperative.
I know propane will be used up pretty fast, so I was wondering if anyone uses any kind of combination heating with a gas burner and an electric burner?
I brew BIAB, so I was thinking about heating part of the water to strike temp on one heater, and part of the water on the other heater, and/or heating part of the water from mash to boil temp on one heater, and the other part of the water from mash to boil temp on the other heater, for example. My kitchen and my porch are adjacent, so logistically I'd be okay there.
Just looking for any other ideas people may have tried.
Thanks as always.

If I brew outside with propane I always heat my strike and sparge water inside on my electric stove top. I only use the burner to boil the wort. I use my auto siphon with a long line attached to it and run it out the kitchen window to start the sparge. I used to lug the hlt outside but getting the longer hose for the auto siphon has made it much safer and easier.

Good idea, thanks! I'm trying to be as quick as possible but save some propane, so that would fit the bill.

Good idea, thanks! I'm trying to be as quick as possible but save some propane, so that would fit the bill.
You're welcome! I brew the same way these days now that I have little kids... fast and cheap!

If I brew outside with propane I always heat my strike and sparge water inside on my electric stove top. I only use the burner to boil the wort.

I do the same thing, this is really nice in the winter, when its cold out!

I’ll bet you don’t go through propane as fast as you think....

Anyway- I do BIAB in a cooler. I bought a heat stick (bucket heater) and heat my strike water using a timer so that the water is ready when I am. I also use the heat stick to help the propane burner get it up to 180-190 then pull it out and go all propane.

For me it’s more about speed than anything. In cold weather, the heat stick really helps to offset the loss due to wind and cold when trying to get a boil going.

Most of the time I brew in the kitchen, but in the summer I do it outside with a propane burner. And an electric heat stick. That really cuts down on the amount of propane I use. The heat stick will almost maintain a boil by itself.

Thanks, ya'll, this is some great info. I had looked at heat sticks in the past but there was always the stipulation that they may be dangerous (lead or some substance that could be toxic? It's been awhile since I looked).
I've never given serious consideration to installing elements, but doing that on 2 different circuits does sound easier than rewiring.

Back