Propagator Starter not going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklarson

Reaction score
I have a propagator I smacked Tuesday late afternoon. After 4 hours there was no real expansion so I waited and in the morning it was just slightly swollen. Started reading and decided to call the store. They said no worries as it was only a day in shiping and was put in the fridge when received. I did the starter last night; 1/2 qt water, 1/2 cup dme then in a glass jar. I been trying to swirl around every now and then and it does foam a bit and I can hear the gases at that time, i also see a bit of the real small bubles so I am pretty sure it is doing something. Yes I know, wait young (new) brewer.

This is going in to a Tripel All-Grain and I was going to do a second step up to get more for pitching probably tomarrow. I am a bit worried about this as the Tripel will take around 4 months, a lot of time.

I received a dry yeast pack with the kit also and I am thinking worst case is I could pitch if nothing happens after a day of pitching the starter.

I am pretty new, bunch of Extracts and this is the second All Grain so a hint of differnt flavors or technical stuff is not an issue as I try to understand what is happening when I do this age old tradition. I use starters quite a bit and weather a propagator or activator I have always had the pack swell fully. this one was dated May 08.

So, let me have your advice and knowledge. Been wanting to try this Tripel for a long time now.

I just had a similar situation with my kolsch.......I pitched mine..took a few days but shes a bubblin NOW....ushould be fine, but if you dont get some action after a 4 days or so you could alway pitch the dry yeast

Back