Proofing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wodwo

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm doing my first brew and I've been mostly following the John Palmer how to brew instructions online. My wort is cooling now and I am doing my yeast, re-hydrating and proofing it. Nothing seems to be happening in the jar, its been in there almost an hour, and then I read a little more on the website and it said Lallemand yeast shouldn't be proofed. Checked my packet and lo and behold my yeast is Lallemand.

SO, question is, Have I screwed things up? I have a spare packet of Coopers yeast that I could add instead or will the Lallemand be good to go once my wort is cool enough?

Also, on checking the Lallemand packet it had expired in January... so maybe it is dead anyway.

Help much appreciated!!!

Cheers!

First and most important, only bread yeast is proofed. Proofing the yeast is not in Palmers latest edition. Most of his on-line book is still good. Just not possible to know what isn't unless you cross check with other sources.

I would recommend pitching your alternate yeast. The yeast you proofed already had a lowered viability because of its age. The proofing would have caused cell wall damage.

Rehydrate your alternate yeast in water that does not contain chlorine or chloramines, this rules out municipal water unless it has been treated with campden tablets. Don't use RO or distilled water. These two will also cause cell wall damage. Bottled spring water is usually safe. Water from a private well is safe.

Sprinkle the yeast over one-half cup of water. Let rest for five minutes. Stir the yeast in and let rest. Every ten minutes stir the yeast. Pitch within one-half hour of beginning rehydration.

Good luck with your late night brew.

Thanks for the advice. So I added the extra yeast AND the first lot of rehydrated yeast. It's now three days since I pitched. There hasn't been any bubbling in the airlock but the day saw some activity with a couple of inches of krausen forming on the surface of the wort. Now that has subsided a little and there is a ring of brown scum on my fermenter... Should I be worried or just leave it alone?

The lack of bubbling could be due to my airlock not being completely tight. I also pitched the yeast at quite a high temperature, but not excessively high.

Now it is acting completely normal. Take a hydrometer reading in another 5 days for a check of how the fermentation is progressing.

Congratulations, you will have beer.

Latest posts

Back