Professional movers & kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinc_Saucier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have any experience with using a professional moving company and having them move full kegs of homebrew? As part of a company sponsored relocation, they are paying for the movers. I guess that worst case scenario is renting a uhaul trailer to bring them (and maybe some other brewing supplies) down.

Thanks

They don't want to move any kind of liquids. ESPECIALLY not pressurized ones. They didn't even want to move cans of spray paint or cleaning supplies when we've moved in the past.

You could box them up and not tell them, but I'd worry about the rough handling and complete lack of temperature control they'd see. Your profile says MA, so it may be getting pretty cool there, depending on where you move. That said, the back of a trailer is a pretty nasty environment. They're gonna get handled roughly, bounced down the road for however long your move takes, then handled roughly again. The trailer will sit in the sun. So, concern one is worrying about leaks getting beer on your other beer-averse possessions. Concern two is what condition the beer will be in when it arrives, even if it does stay in the kegs.

So, like, how much beer are we talking here? My suggestion would be to have one kicka$$ party, drain those suckers through your friends' and family's livers, and start fresh on arrival at your new place.

:mug:

Thanks, yea I didn't even think about the pressurization issue.

We're talking 9 5gal and 2 3gal kegs, so don't think that a party would even put a dent in the supply. I was thinking of the small covered uhaul trailer not open air (don't know if that's what you were thinking of). The move is heading south, and within the next month, so I'm not too worried about temp.

When i moved i put them in the backseat of my car and pushed the seats back to wedge them in nice and tight. Not sure how far you're going but i got 4 kegs and a 20lb CO2 cylinder in my '05 altima.

Box 'em up anyway.

If anyone complains tell them to bite your shiny metal ass.

And if you do that, they'll throw them in the truck. If it leaks 5 gallons of barleywine on books, your couch, your wife's clothes, or anything else, they will tell you to bite your own shiny metal ass. If it's not worth the risk for them, it's not worth the risk for you.

Talk to the movers and do what they recommend. If they tell you that they won't move a pressurized keg or one with beer in it, then transport them yourself or dump them.

They may also be more likely to move the beer in bottles for you since movers would more commonly have customers with wine collections. Consider bottling the batch if that makes everyone's life easier.

If you can, move them yourself. When we did our move, we rented a minivan to haul 12 cases of wine, a few cases of beer, some houseplants and musical instruments. The movers were very clear about not moving liquids and if anything leaked they would not be responsible for any damages. It might be worth having the conversation with them and maybe there's something they could do. Perhaps you could put them in a few contractor bags to contain any potential leaks.

If anyone complains tell them to bite your shiny metal ass.
That's it, I'm gonna start my own moving company... with blackjack! And hookers! In fact...

Send them to me. I'll take care of the pressurization issue and send them back to you when you get settled in.

Appreciate the offer... I'll let you know. You also taking care of the liquid issue too?

And if you do that, they'll throw them in the truck. If it leaks 5 gallons of barleywine on books, your couch, your wife's clothes, or anything else, they will tell you to bite your own shiny metal ass. If it's not worth the risk for them, it's not worth the risk for you.

Talk to the movers and do what they recommend. If they tell you that they won't move a pressurized keg or one with beer in it, then transport them yourself or dump them.

They may also be more likely to move the beer in bottles for you since movers would more commonly have customers with wine collections. Consider bottling the batch if that makes everyone's life easier.

Yea, that's what I'm worries about. Have someone coming out next week to take a look at the apt to see what they need to schedule for people and truck. Will ask them then. Bottling probably isn't an option for that much beer.

If you can, move them yourself. When we did our move, we rented a minivan to haul 12 cases of wine, a few cases of beer, some houseplants and musical instruments. The movers were very clear about not moving liquids and if anything leaked they would not be responsible for any damages. It might be worth having the conversation with them and maybe there's something they could do. Perhaps you could put them in a few contractor bags to contain any potential leaks.

Yea, will probably end up moving them in a covered trailer...

Back